Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I originally went with Pentax because at the time I bought my first DSLR, Pentax was the only brand with in-body stabilization. I thought that Canon and Nikon both had better image quality, but after seeing your comparison, I'm not so sure.
Thank you, mtnman. As I also stated above, I was seriously considering to buy the D90 before my non scientific but practical hands on experience thanks to my friend's courtesy. Well, as for your final words, I'd even be so bold as to say, we cannot be so sure about anything since it is the industrial media on which the culture of the late capitalism depends ; )

.................................................. ......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
I tried to do something different. I used Photoshop Elements to cut various areas of both images and set up a comparison. I am much better at using the tools at work for this, but this is what I came up with. In this respect you can see a bit easier that indeed the image from the K10 is much better than the one from the D90. I was surprised.
The D90 crops are on top with the K10 immediately below.
enjoy!
Thank you for the good effort! Your 'user name' is well deserved indeed : ) Now, things are more obvious so!

.................................................. ................

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I feel the K10D pictures are clearer...check the brickwork on that building, the street pavement, the silver Honda (?) car in the background and the people at the table beyond the car. Also I like the colour rendition better with the K10D better than the G90...check out the sky...the D90's sky looks a bit washed out, compared to the K10D.

I think the K10D is a higher level machine than the D90...not quite at a D300, but above the D90.
K10D really roars when it comes to RAWWW : ) I don't know if it has anything to do with the 22bit A/D converter, since, though they shared the same Sony ccd sensor, I detected the difference in favour of the K10D when I compared to my back up D40x and my cousin's D80! If only I could also compare them to the Samsung GX20 with the 14 mp cmos sensor but retaining the 22 bit converter as with the K10D. As for the D300, Ken Rockwell writes: ''The technical image quality of the D90 is indistinguishable from the D300 for color, sharpness, and noise'' http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
Perhaps a more interesting issue, regarding the washed out sky; according to some reviews, the D90 stands well over Pentax's later and more sophisticated models of K20D and the K7 in terms of dynamic range!!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K7/K7IMATEST.HTM

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor/

Last edited by bahadir; Aug 16, 2009 at 7:59 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:28 PM   #12

having just gone from my k20D to a D90 i personly think theres something wrong with your friends camera or lens.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
having just gone from my k20D to a D90 i personly think theres something wrong with your friends camera or lens.
Thank you for the feedback, kazuya. Actually, I compared the raw outputs from the D90 and K10D above, but that's a possibility of course what you've mentioned, or there might have been something wrong in your old K20D, or something altogether different in my combo for it's my second K10D body and third sigma 17-70 lens After all, it's Nikon which is expected to have a more successful Quality Pass for a sustainable best customer satisfaction every year ; ) Anyway, whatever may or may not be the reason, other raw pictures I shot with the D90 looked consistently pretty well including the jpegs my friend had shot, unless I compared them with the K10D raw outputs...Should you also download the raw outputs of both D90 and K10D from DPreviews and put them side by side, you'll find the K10D outputs crisper (needless to mention which is which). Again my intention is not bashing any brand. I hope they all do their best and we enjoy : )
Attached Images

Last edited by bahadir; Aug 16, 2009 at 6:13 PM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote