Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:14 AM   #1

Default Nikon D90 vs Pentax K10D

Having seen some mates in the search of a 'better body' including myself(!), I did not miss the opportunity to ask a friend who has just bought the D90 to lend his camera...Below are two relatively heavy crops from two identically framed pictures I shot with my friend's Nikon D90 with the Nikkor 18-105vr and my outdated!! K10D with the Sigma 17-70 in the late afternoon. The pictures were shot in RAW and converted into jpeg with the default parameters of CS4, but before saving into 8bit jpeg, the 'shadows' were lighted by 50% to see how much dynamic range each image would allow. The exifs are embedded, and if anyone is also interested in the raw originals I'd be pleased to send.
Now, I am more interested in equipment such as lens, remote, tripod, flash and reflectors than any camera body upgrade : )

D90 crop

K10D crop

Last edited by bahadir; Aug 14, 2009 at 6:16 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2

Hmmm... its really hard to give a fair comparison when using such different lenses but, I'm not impressed with the D90.

It would be interesting to see comparison shots with each having a 50mm f:1.4 and with the 70-200mm f:2.8

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 3:52 PM   #3

Hi bahadir,

I think that the most obvious difference is the color rendition. In general, I'd say that I prefer the warmer colors of the K10 shot, but I have to say that the D90 water and sky look a bit better. Not having been there, I don't know which is more accurate though.

The K10 shot looks considerably sharper with better contrast also, even though the D90 shot was taken with a faster shutter speed. It's nice to see that the "old" K10 can stand up quite nicely with the newer competition.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:32 PM   #4

Who ever said Pentax makes cameras for photographers was sure right, nice comparison my friend the K10 is much better by far here,
You know i found the same thing out when i compared my K20D DA 17-70 and 40D Tamron 17-50 (you would probably remember) the K20D was much better in the details and that is why i sold the 40D,
I was also thinking of buying the D90 after reading the pixel peepers comments which are nonsence,
so now for me is K-7 which I have called Athens to put 1 on hold for me when i get back in 4 Days but i wish the pentax lenses prices get so high because i want the DA 12-24 as well,
Anyway thanks for your help arkadas and also to snostorm
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:35 PM   #5

Wow! A definite difference. Guess I know what you'll be keeping.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:03 PM   #6

I originally went with Pentax because at the time I bought my first DSLR, Pentax was the only brand with in-body stabilization. I thought that Canon and Nikon both had better image quality, but after seeing your comparison, I'm not so sure.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:57 PM   #7

I tried to do something different. I used Photoshop Elements to cut various areas of both images and set up a comparison. I am much better at using the tools at work for this, but this is what I came up with. In this respect you can see a bit easier that indeed the image from the K10 is much better than the one from the D90. I was surprised.

The D90 crops are on top with the K10 immediately below.

enjoy!
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:58 PM   #8

I feel the K10D pictures are clearer...check the brickwork on that building, the street pavement, the silver Honda (?) car in the background and the people at the table beyond the car. Also I like the colour rendition better with the K10D better than the G90...check out the sky...the D90's sky looks a bit washed out, compared to the K10D.

I think the K10D is a higher level machine than the D90...not quite at a D300, but above the D90.

Last edited by lesmore49; Aug 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Hmmm... its really hard to give a fair comparison when using such different lenses but, I'm not impressed with the D90.

It would be interesting to see comparison shots with each having a 50mm f:1.4 and with the 70-200mm f:2.8
Thank you GW! Actually, Nikkor 18-105 vr, which is deemed to be a very decent zoom and triumphing especially at 24mm!!, is quite comperable to the Sigma 17-70, even better at wide, about the focal length of 35 as seen below. (the nikkor on the righthandside)
source: http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

.................................................. ..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi bahadir,

I think that the most obvious difference is the color rendition. In general, I'd say that I prefer the warmer colors of the K10 shot, but I have to say that the D90 water and sky look a bit better. Not having been there, I don't know which is more accurate though.

The K10 shot looks considerably sharper with better contrast also, even though the D90 shot was taken with a faster shutter speed. It's nice to see that the "old" K10 can stand up quite nicely with the newer competition.

Scott
Yes, you're quite right, Scott! The difference in resolution is not even noticeable except when both pictures are observed zoomed in. Actually it is the colour rendition and dynamic range which I was after. To tell the truth, as someone who had already started to legitimize the purchase of the D90 fascinated by the reviews, I was also surprised by the result!! IMO, no one should expect a sudden jump in one's photograpy following such an upgrade ; )

Last edited by bahadir; Aug 16, 2009 at 9:51 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Who ever said Pentax makes cameras for photographers was sure right, nice comparison my friend the K10 is much better by far here,
You know i found the same thing out when i compared my K20D DA 17-70 and 40D Tamron 17-50 (you would probably remember) the K20D was much better in the details and that is why i sold the 40D,
I was also thinking of buying the D90 after reading the pixel peepers comments which are nonsence,
so now for me is K-7 which I have called Athens to put 1 on hold for me when i get back in 4 Days but i wish the pentax lenses prices get so high because i want the DA 12-24 as well,
Anyway thanks for your help arkadas and also to snostorm
Thank you for the feedback, arkadas! Looking forward to seeing your comperative images after you've returned home! After all, as far as I remember, you sell your cameras to people you know : )

.................................................. ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Wow! A definite difference. Guess I know what you'll be keeping.

Patty
haha! Thank you Patty...Good guess indeed ; ) After all, they say the one who wins doesn't change one's team !