Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:36 PM   #11

Nice haul!!! Looks like you will be busy for a while getting accustomed to the nuances of all the new glass.

I like all your first shots except the helicopter with its rotors standing still unnerves me.

For carrying your K-7 with the DA* 300 you may like a small backpack. I have a Lowepro Micro-trecker. I can keep my K100D with the 1.4TC plus the Tokina 80- 400mm with the lens hood on not reversed (aprox. length for all, camera, TC, and lens = 12") in that bag.
The bag is small light and in addition to the camera and lens combo above I can and do carry a 50mm, Viv105, Zenitar, Sunpack338 supper flash and Tamron 18-250.

In addition I carry two filters, two packs of AAA batteries, three SD cards, a note pad and pen, a small led flashlight and an assortment of miscellaneous Allen wrenches and spikes for my tripod. In addition I have it tricked out so it will even carry my Fisol carbon tripod with ballhead in a vertical position.

I regularly use this to carry my equipment in my car between home and Maine. When I hike I only carry the tripod, camera and perhaps three lenses to keep weight reasonable. It is comfortable to wear for an extended hike.

The only drawback is that in order to change lenses you need to remove it.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:54 PM   #12

Have fun with all those, hope to see plenty of shots.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:00 AM   #13

Now that's a funny story! I've always heard jokes about criminals doing equally dumb things, but never thought they actually happened!

Patty - hope you'll get some time this weekend to play with your new lens. Sure hope you have good luck with this one.

Keltech - When I first got a dSLR, I hiked with a day pack or a camelback. I found that the lenses I put in the pocket of the pack stayed there for the whole hike - I want to change things way too much and it's too much of a bother to stop, take off the pack, get out what you want, put away whatever you were using over and over. They are much better for carrying weight than either a sling bag or a shoulder bag, but they just don't work for me. So it'll be either a shoulder bag or a sling bag.

Thanks for the compliment, Rodney. I hope I'll have lots to post as time goes on. I can see myself using the DA*200 often - it's a focal length I like.

Harriet
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:16 AM   #14

Harriet, I think it's time you update your list in the Bragging Thread!
It looks like the new DA* lenses have a much shorter closest focus than the A*/F*/FA* ancestors. I agree with you about long teles beeing very useful for close-ups. Impressing pictures. The in-camera-HDR also impresses.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:45 AM   #15

Harriet - Since you've liked the Sling bag you may want to check out Lowepro's Fastpak. I have the 250 which allows me to also carry my laptop if needed. It's a normal size backpack, but gives you the swing over shoulder side opening option. It's what I used last weekend when we went up north. Easy to change lenses without taking the bag off and I'm sure it would hold your camera/lens combo easy, plus some.

For every day use I just use my Urban Disguise 30 saddlebag. Holds my essentials and doesn't look like a camera bag.

Going out soon before it gets too hot and humid to check out my new lens

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:19 PM   #16

Very impressive series of shots. I really like the last one in which you used bracketed exposures and Photomatix for an HDR. I've tried a couple of in-camera HDR's, but I haven't been impressed with that particular feature thus far....probably because I haven't really learned the best places to use it. What you got in-camera is far stronger than anything I've shot HDR with the K-7 thus far.

I've been drooling for the fisheye, too. When I recover from the K-7 and battery grip (if it'll get off back-order), that's probably my next lens purchase.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 2:24 PM   #17

Really like those last two shots...kind of fisheye of the rural area...10-17 lens.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:41 PM   #18

Kjell - I was thinking that my photo kit certainly changed significantly in one day, I probably should update it. As in many things, though, one thing leads to another and a new camera bag has unexpectedly become really important.

hercules - My 12-24 isn't going anywhere. It'll continue to be my go-to/primary wide angle lens, while the 10-17 is going to be used pretty much exclusively for its special fisheye effect. They are very different lenses, not much in common with either other than they are really wide.

Paul - I went back and forth between the 12-24 and 10-17 before I bought the 12-24. It finally came down to the fact that the 12-24 is the more useful/versatile lens for me. As much as I love the 12-24, I still wanted a fisheye to play with. Last week when my husband tried the 10-17 at the K-7 event, he completely understood ("Boy, I WANT this lens"). The nice thing is that it's quite sharp as well as having the interesting perspective.

Patty - A couple of people on another board said that the Kata 3N1-30 (the big one) is big enough for the DA*300, so that's at the top of the list at the moment, I've always liked the way you can use it either as a backpack or as a sling bag. I went to a camera store today that carries MRock bags and was very impressed (again). They didn't have their sling bags, but the top-load shoulder bag (a medium sized one) is beautifully made, very sturdy. I'm not sure they have a big sling bag but I'll check out their website again.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:49 PM   #19

A nice set of photos from a nice set of lenses. I have to admit that I am absolutely green with envy! Mind you I wouldn't know what to do with them all. By the time I decided what lens I was going to use, the moment would have passed.

Looking forward to more

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:29 PM   #20

Yep, the Kata 3N1-30 looks like a nice bag. I had contemplated it a while. I think I have BBA, too. I have a bag for each purpose. Day hike, every day, long trips, airline travel, etc.

This sure can be an expensive hobby.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote