Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:26 PM   #21

those are nice lenses
i have a lowpro bag that opens at the side too, i am at work at the moment and i cant recall what it was called, but it fits my 300 on the k10D with a few other lenses tucked in too. It has a top section for bits and pieces and the laptop compartment ( i use it for keeping magazines and books in to keep them flat )

the fisheye is great fun, and dont forget to try it as a macro lens
http://www.johndolphin.net/photos/de...?image_id=5315
http://www.johndolphin.net/photos/de...?image_id=5317

have fun
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:39 PM   #22

John - thanks for the suggestion about using the fisheye for a close-up lens, I took the time to play with it that way at lunch. You can get REALLY close (perhaps closer than you want) with it - surprising me no end.

As a clarification on a point I've mentioned either here or in another thread - the examples I took last week showed the DA*300 to be sharper than my A*300. However, the difference isn't as significant as I had thought when I was in Redondo Beach. Over the previous weekend, while shooting macros, I happened to notice that the dioper adjustment on the K-7 had been slightly knocked off it's adjustment and I adjusted it. When I was shooting a couple of comparison shots with the two 300mm lenses this week, I noticed that there was less difference than the shots from Redondo Beach. I'm going to have to play with them quite a bit more to reach any definite conclusions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:29 PM   #23

Just popping in to say thanks for the up date on the action shots.(thanks Pen)
the story of the guy in Vermont reminded me of the guy here that rob a bank. Using the back of a deposit slip to wright on, he handed the teller the note. The teller read the note, then handed it back and said she couldn't accept it because it was written on a competitors bank, he'd have to go across the street to use it. So... he did. and yes, the police showed up before he was through the line.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:19 PM   #24

That is funny, GW. And, pretty smart of the teller. She sure is quick on her feet.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:35 PM   #25

GW, that's a very funny "dumb criminal" story. If only all criminals were as stupid!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:25 PM   #26

I never get tired of flowers either...or staple pullers. Glad to know I'm not alone when it comes to taking pics of smileless subjects.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:21 PM   #27

GW - good story and smart teller.

cameanee - it always amazes me how you can get an interesting picture from what is otherwise a mundane subject. I was really pleased with the staple puller picture, I wasn't expecting it to come out that nicely. I love digital - if in doubt take the picture. It doesn't cost anything, there's always the delete key. I've really learned a lot about photography that way (along with copious help from all of you here).
Old Aug 18, 2009, 4:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
The DA*200 looks like a special lens. I've been sorely tempted, but it's not a FL that I use a lot and I've got 4 excellent/VG lenses that cover the FL and speed (A*200/2.8, Tokina 80-200/2.8 AT-X Pro, Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 Adaptall 2, Tamron SP 180/2.5) -- Scott

Given its capability, I am surprised that the DA*200mm has not gone in price yet. But its focal length is kind of too long (for portrait) or too short (as tele).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Here are some pictures of 3 of my latest purchases. The 4th will have to wait a while, the DA*16-50 is boxed up for exchange as I got a bad copy of it. But here's some samples from the others I bought. DA*200 - I can't quite get this camera off f2.8 to anything smaller. Its quite sharp wide open. I haven't tried it at anything larger than f8 yet (there's only so much time I have to play during the week). Instead of the usual first coffee cup, I shot another common item found in an office. Love the bokeh with this lens - it's quite dreamy. K-7, DA*200 at f2.8: .

Harriet,

I envy your bag problem. But I really cannot handle more lenses anymore. And I am scaling down.
DA*200mm still retains its creamy dreamy bokeh even at F5.6. Try out some portrait and you will know. Not whole length shots but more close up type.
I dare not talk about the other quality lenses you mentioned.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:44 AM   #29

Daniel - I did try some flowers and such at f5.6 and f8 and you are right - it's bokeh is awesome no matter what aperture. It's capable of giving you an almost 3D effect and (since I tend toward longer focal lengths anyway) it's spending a great deal of time on my camera. It is sort-of a strange focal length for some people, but it's one I found I really missed. I considered getting either the Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8, but they were both significantly heavier and I don't mind primes. I seem to actually prefer them for the most part.

As far as pricing - it's going up. In fact, I ended up buying from B&H because Adorama had raised their pricing on this lens a couple of days before I could order it (right after I had decided to get it). B&H hadn't so they got the sale.