Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:29 PM   #11

Patty... both the lens and your shooting look top-notch to me. After my initial outing at an MLB baseball game with my (Pentax-branded) 18-250, I haven't had a lot of time to shoot. But I am also very interested in the results you get at 18mm.

As for your potential front- or back-focusing problem with those flowers, was your autofocus set on full auto, center-weighted or spot? I've seen instances like this where it was the camera that was confused, not the lens. Try taking a similar photo with other autofocus settings before reaching any conclusions.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:53 PM   #12

These look quite sharp - looks much better than the other one you had. It always take a bit to get a good feel for a new lens, but this one looks like you'll have no trouble with.

I'd love to know what the bug is - very interesting looking.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:15 PM   #13

Good point, Lou. Everything I've taken so far has been towards the long end. Probably because of all the problems I had with the other one. I'll try to leave early for work tomorrow and get some shots near 18. I do need to recheck all my other lenses again. I had adjusted them all at one time, but reset one of them back to "zero" recently and can't remember which. I also need to do a more thorough job of checking them.

Thanks, Biro. I believe it's set on spot, but I'll have to double check that.

Thanks, Harriet. Yes, it is tremendously better. I really think I'm going to like this lens. I'm hoping someone can identify the bug for us, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:25 PM   #14

I've been using the Tamron version for over a year now & find that with some reservations, it's an OK 'walk around' lens but make sure that you keep it well stopped down to avoid vignetting which is quite pronounced across the complete focal length.

I tend to use Sv mode on the K10 and adjust the ISO level to keep the aperture size high enough to avoid/reduce it.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Thanks, Harriet. Yes, it is tremendously better. I really think I'm going to like this lens. I'm hoping someone can identify the bug for us, too.

Patty
First thing that comes to mind is some sort of Ichneumon Wasp - Check the last picture on this page.

Correction, here is your wasp: Pelecinid Wasp

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Aug 17, 2009 at 9:30 PM.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:12 PM   #16

Looks like your first pics are a success.

Makes me wish I was more active on this forum when I first got mine. You guys are all so helpful when it comes to working out the bugs and technical stuff.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:53 AM   #17

Catbells, I hadn't really noticed the vignetting. But, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I've been taking images at all lengths and settings to test things. Still need to do 18mm end. Went yesterday, but it was hot and I didn't do a true test. Will try again this morning.

Thanks for the ID, Mike. Sure does look like that's it. I can't find if it's dangerous to humans.

Cameanee, well you may have missed out in the beginning, but you're certain more than welcome to join in now. Still looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:50 PM   #18

Hey Patty,
They (Pelecinids) are harmless to humans.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:51 PM   #19

Patty - looks like you're having a great time with the new lens - and some excellent and diverse photos too. Glad it's working out so well for you, and glad you were willing to share these beautiful photos with us!

We've also had a number of Pelecinids emerging lately - they do look amazing, but they are indeed quite harmless to us.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:52 PM   #20

Yes, Patty, those wasps are only dangerous if you happen to be a beetle grub!

And your "little guy" (after the Ring-billed Gulls) is a Spotted Sandpiper that has lost its spots, which are only present in the breeding plumage.

Good to see that you got a good copy of the lens, which you really deserve after all the hand-wringing over it.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote