Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   Shots with Tamron 18-250 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/158486-shots-tamron-18-250-a.html)

nhmom Aug 15, 2009 8:16 PM

Shots with Tamron 18-250

3 Attachment(s)
Finally had a chance today to go check out the new lens. It's a very hot, humid day, so my I wasn't taking as much care as I should have.

Anyway, went to find the Webhannet Falls in Wells, ME that I'd wanted to go to last weekend. They were a disappointment in that the water is very brown. Hence the reason for converting one to b&w. I am also posting one untouched (except for resizing) so you can see how brown it was. I tried to get some at all lens lengths and various f stops to try things out. All the ones I did at 250mm didn't come out. I think I was just too close to the subject is all. Will do a better test tomorrow.

The orchids I took Thursday night. It was the only shot I took before I raced out the door.

Anyway, nothing great here, just thought I'd post what I did today.

Patty

nhmom Aug 15, 2009 8:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two of one of the flowers growing in front of the falls. There's a very nice garden growing on the overpass in front of the them.

Goldwinger Aug 15, 2009 8:49 PM

Hey Patty,
So far... Looks like you are going to be real happy with that lens!

I love the bokeh. :cool2:

Wingman Aug 15, 2009 9:00 PM

Looking good Patty! I could not read any EXIF data on your images and therefore could not tell what aperture you were using. Color and detail on the Orchid look great! Looks like a keeper this time!

mtclimber Aug 15, 2009 9:26 PM

Patty-

that lens looks like a winner. Great Shots!

Sarah Joyce

Rodney9 Aug 15, 2009 11:55 PM

Very nice, great lens and shots, I love the orchid and the B&W waterfall.

Rodney

Keltech Aug 16, 2009 5:14 AM

Patty, looks like you've got a keeper this time. I know you won't be comfortable until you see some pictures at 250mm. What you have taken so far looks very nice.

Lou

nhmom Aug 16, 2009 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks. Now that I've done some shots at 250 it is definitely a keeper. You got that right, Lou. After my last issues I wasn't going to be happy unless it focused at 250mm.

Sorry, jelpee. I decided the images were looking better being resized in the "save for web" feature in PSE7, but it strips the data. Here's what I had (all at ISO100, spot metering, AP, +1EC):

orchid - 170mm, F16, 1/180 sec
b&w - 65mm, F25, 1/8 sec
reg waterfall - 100m, F16, 1/25 sec
close lilly - 180mm, F29, 1/30 sec
distant lilly - 92mm, F7.1, 1/400 sec

Here are some from down by the river this morning. It was only 10:30 and already 88 and humid.

Well, this first one was on at home sitting on my car waiting for me when I went downstairs. I have no idea what it is, but with that stinger on the back didn't want to get close. I think I need to figure out how close I can be with this lens. I was only about 3 feet away from him.

Patty

bug - 250mm, F6.3, 1/125 sec, ISO400 at unknown exposure program (I usually shoot in AP, but found the camera later in TAV)

flowers - 250mm, F6.3, 1/200 sec, ISO100, AP

nhmom Aug 16, 2009 1:04 PM

focusing issue

4 Attachment(s)
I think there might be a slight front or back focusing problem with the lens at this length. I had been focusing on the tallest flower in the bunch. It was hot, but if I remember right, there was no breeze right here to move the flowers. I was standing about 10 feet away.

gulls on dock - 250mm, F8, 1/400 sec
chicken dance - 200mm, F8, 1/320 sec (considerable crop - like 1/9 of original)
little guy - 250mm, F8, 1/320 sec (considerable crop - same 1/9 of original)
up stream - 110mm, F16, 1/40 sec

Most taken using my monopod. It was too hot and muggy to lug the tripod around. Heck, I didn't even want to get out of the car. :o I'm not a good judge of distances, but there was a garden, then probably 30 feet (??) of water between it and the dock.

Patty

Keltech Aug 16, 2009 7:16 PM

Patty, have you checked out the 18mm end of the lens? Everything you've taken so far looks good.

If you do have a front or back focus problem at least you have a camera that can correct it.

Lou