Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
The natural fit is Samsung.

After all, the Samsung GX-10 is a rebadged Pentax K10D, while the GX-20 is a K20D.

Samsung is pushing its photographic line, so they shouldn't be afraid of taking the Pentax name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I don't know, but is there, or will there be, a re-badged Pentax K7 with a Samsung badge ?
There are only a few rumors at the moment, but it looks a lot like Samsung will be introducing the GX-30, which will be like the K7, with a few additional features.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:38 PM   #12

Samsung certainly has the resources, but I have to wonder if Hoya's CEO would have floated that announcement without having approached Samsung first. Samsung's entry into the digital market doesn't seem to have made much of an impact yet, so that may have some bearing on the situation (but I am not sure which way that will drive them). I wonder whether Hoya's CEO regrets his earlier statement that regardless of economic conditions or store availability serious hobbyists would continue to support their passion and continue to buy and upgrade DSLRs without interruption. Based on this and his other earlier comments, I seriously think this man needs a good old American MBA to counter his insular understanding of the photographic marketplace.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
The natural fit is Samsung.

After all, the Samsung GX-10 is a rebadged Pentax K10D, while the GX-20 is a K20D.

Samsung is pushing its photographic line, so they shouldn't be afraid of taking the Pentax name.
The problem with this theory is that there are very strong historical and nationalistic identity conflicts that run very deep -- Unless things have changed radically, I don't know how possible it might be for a Korean company to buy and operate a Japanese one. There has historically been a lot of animosity towards the Japanese in their part of the world, and I think that is at least one reason Samsung rebadged the Pentax models to their own name. They could just as easily made a deal to distribute Pentax cameras through their very well developed worldwide network, but the very large and lucrative Korean and Chinese markets probably wouldn't have been quite as receptive.

Samsung is a great partner fit though. . . it's forte is electronics and manufacturing and distributing on a very large scale. -- Pentax has the imaging, optical, and photographic ergonomics experience.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:45 PM   #14

I don't really think that would be too much problem. I work with an international company in Japan, and grouped together are both Japan and S. Korea. The business point of view, our business has no great impediment from the Japan/S.Korea relationship point of view.
There are, however, more blockers from a Japan/China point of view, IMO.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:15 AM   #15

As long as Samsung kept the K mount and continues to produce DSLRs then there still is a future for users of Pentax branded lenses.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:00 AM   #16

When a CEO makes a statement like this, I guarantee you that it's very calculated. Here is my analysis as a business guy:

1. When he says that they need a partner, what he's really doing is attempting to encourage inquiries from potential buyers for the digital camera business unit, without officially putting the unit up for sale. This way, if he doesn't get the right kind of offers, he doesn't lose face by having to either sell too cheaply or by having to tell the analysts that he couldn't get it done.

2. When he says that he expects that it will be profitable in 2010 through cost cutting measures, he's trying to tell those suiters that they will be buying a lean, mean profit producing business unit that will start providing a return on investment without a tremendous amount of cutting and just minimal tweaking by the new owner.

Based on these comments, I fully expect to see this business line sold off in the next 18 months. I may buy some Hoya stock, just to see if I can get a positive result when/if this happens.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:38 PM   #17

Well, it is pointless for me to speculate. We can only hope that Pentax survives in some form (such as the Minolta story).
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Well, it is pointless for me to speculate. We can only hope that Pentax survives in some form (such as the Minolta story).
It will. K mount lenses since 70s should outnumber those of Minolta mounts.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
1. When he says that they need a partner, .......

2. When he says that he expects that it will be profitable in 2010 ..........

Based on these comments, I fully expect to see this business line sold off in the next 18 months. I may buy some Hoya stock, just to see if I can get a positive result when/if this happens.
I second your speculation. It is more like he is pushing for the sell off with a ready buyer already
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote