Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2009, 6:58 PM   #11

great shots scott
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:38 PM   #12

The wasp in John's picture is the same species as the one that I encountered and snapped the picture of above. It was about 2 inches long at least not curled up like it was. I have some serious wasp spray that knocked this one down immediately, otherwise it would have been a bigger problem.

Anyway, if I didn't say so before, Scott your shots are very nice.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
not my image thank god but this little (well not so little) beasty trumps pretty much all insect life - japanese giant hornets

as this is my first post here should really say hi, the humming bird shots are really nice - love the one in flight - bet you needed alot of patience to get those shots - been tring to get some shots of buzzards lately but having spectularily bad luck

Welcome to the forum John P. looking forward to seeing some Photos from you.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Thats one huge fly indeed, and lovely hummingbirds.
Rodney

Hi Rodney,

Thanks! -- I saw another of the Horse flies today, but it was less than half the size (more "normal" -- but still a big honker)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
I really like the third one. The way it just hovers there.
And, that fly! Yikes! 2"! Shivers down my spine just thinking of a fly that large.
Hi Patty,

That's my favorite also -- really just a lucky shot, the only from a series of 3 that wasn't totally motion blurred.

I was totally freaked out by that fly -- spent most of the rest of my time there looking over my shoulder. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great images, love those little birds, and a nice shot of a "black horse fly"

"This horse fly is a blood feeder, slashing the hide of the animal and sponging blood from the wound." Don't think that shotgun is a bad idea.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/295393/bgpage
Hi Ronny,

Thanks!!

It's really reassuring to know that it's a blood feeder! Now I'll really be looking over my shoulder. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Scott, these are great compositions..especially like the one feeding from the flower. Re. the color of the male, on some of the images, the colors on these images look somewhat hazy & pale on my monitor...almost as if the've been shot through a hazy glass...not sure if it is your images or my monitor.
Hi jelpee,

The colors are subdued -- it was pretty dark overcast for most of them -- bordering on thunderstorm dark -- I was about 10 feet away from the door of the Nature Center, so I wasn't too worried -- I had every confidence in the WR of my K20 and K-7 bodies, but neither of my FA*300s are weather sealed, and I'm more than a touch paranoid about getting them wet.

I usually prefer less vivid colors and contrast, and set up my cameras in "natural" with -1 or 2 in both saturation and contrast, but actually boosted both a bit in these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Scott... they weren't perhaps shooting a Sci Fi movie close by....
Hi GW,

I actually looked around to make sure there wasn't a kid with a remote controller anywhere around. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Alright, time for a battle royal, your fly vs my wasp:
Hi Mike,

About the last thing I intended was to start a monster bug war! "My" fly has the obvious "Dark Vader" look as a psychological advantage though. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Scott - the feathers on hummingbird gorgets have structural colors, and not pigments. Think of them as bearing little prisms that reflect different colors - or none at all - depending on the direction of the light falling on them. Bring your flash - it should help. Otherwise you seem to be getting the hang of it.

There looks like there might be a tinge of blue in the gorget of #5 - hummingbirds sometimes stray into the East and Midwest, but Black-chins and Costa's - (the ones that show blue in the Gorget) are not likely in Chicago.

And you are lucky that that horsefly wasn't hungry - only the females bite - and painfully too - (like female mosquitos they need a blood meal to lay eggs), and that one is a female! Those horseflies only occur in eastern North America, so they are one thing I haven't missed by moving West.
Hi penolta,

I was hoping that you'd chime in. I know next to nothing about HBs, so everything is something new for me. . . You're right about the colors. In the very diffused and pretty dim light, all of them looked gray/black and white, but showed some color when the light hit them at the right angle. Yesterday, I had some bright sunlight, but only saw the bright colors momentarily when the light was right. With one of the males, it looked pretty much black and gray, but I was able to get a couple of shots where there were copper metallic patches at the sides of his neck, and I saw his throat flash bright red in the VF a couple of times (which means that I obviously missed getting shots of these times)

I can see that I've got a pretty long way to go before I learn enough to get competent at shooting these guys. It'll take quite a bit of experimentation before I even know what lenses are going to do the best. . . I could go long to try to get fine detail, but that means more time to acquire and focus, and less time to shoot. I could use fast lenses, to get shutter times down, but will I ever really be able to freeze the wings. . . or do totally blurred wings look better (I'm inclined to think the latter, for most shots.) Am I better off using a tripod, or handholding. . .and then there's flash. . .

That's just great -- not only are they monster big, and blood feeders, but there's painful biting as a possibility. . . I feel a lot better now. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
not my image thank god but this little (well not so little) beasty trumps pretty much all insect life - japanese giant hornets

as this is my first post here should really say hi, the humming bird shots are really nice - love the one in flight - bet you needed alot of patience to get those shots - been tring to get some shots of buzzards lately but having spectularily bad luck
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum!!! and thanks for the compliment.

It wouldn't bother me a bit to see some buzzard shots. I've seen enough monster bugs to last me quite a while. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
his fly, your wasp !!!!! i got both..
Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
great shots scott
Hi Roy,

Thanks!!

I've obviously created something of a monster with the fly shot. . . I think I'll stick with birds for the most part from now on. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
The wasp in John's picture is the same species as the one that I encountered and snapped the picture of above. It was about 2 inches long at least not curled up like it was. I have some serious wasp spray that knocked this one down immediately, otherwise it would have been a bigger problem.

Anyway, if I didn't say so before, Scott your shots are very nice.
Hi Mike,

Thanks!!
As much as I'm concerned with the environment, I have to say that I'd be sorely tempted to use nuclear weapons against really big bugs . . . they really freak me out. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:23 AM   #15

Scott -

Some great photos (both of the little birds and the big fly!) I especially like the one at the flower - great composition - but all are really fine!

John -

Welcome to the forums! Hope to see some of your photos soon. By the way, I posted a buzzard shot recently here - here's the link:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ng-things.html
mole is offline   Reply With Quote