Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:41 PM   #1

Default Hurricane Bill

Here are a few from today at the New Hampshire coastline. I'm not sure where the hurricane was when I took these. But, you can see the sea was mighty angry. This first one is Rye Beach from above. We stood in line for quite a while to get down onto Route 1A. People everywhere.

This second one is at the spot I ended up getting a small shower. What you see in the water spray is seaweed. It was everywhere. This was beyond all the surfers and tons of people. The cops were making a killing today with giving out parking tickets. You are not allowed to park on the road anywhere out there. But, it was wall to wall cars parked.

The third and fourth ones are at the beach at the Ordiorne Science Center. Not many people in the center today.

All taken with the K20D and Tamron 18-250. Glad to have it today with all the water. You can see how much moisture was in the air in the first one.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:03 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Fantastic images Patty..color, tonal balance, clarity..and great compositions on #1 & 2. You ought to be feeling pleased with the performance of that 18-250! Just watch out for the slight curvature in the horizons at 18mm...I find the DA 18-250 does the same thing. I have to remember to keep the camera plane level or if I cannot, I make the adjustment in PSE. BTW, hope this was the worst of Bill!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3

Cool pictures, love the first two especially. I envy you the surf - we went to Pismo today so I could use the DA*300 for surfing pictures. Only problem was that there was hardly any surf! Now I know where it all went - you folks on the East Coast had it all, so you could use your new lens. Glad to see that your lens has worked out so well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:22 AM   #4

Patty, wonderful images of Mother Nature doing her thing. The colors are fantastic!

I don't know how it was in Rye and Odiorne Point but a little inland there was no breeze at all.

I used to bike from Seabrook to Portsmouth and back and on a good day the traffic was treacherous. I can imagine what you must have encountered yesterday.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:56 AM   #5

Thanks, jelpee, mtngal and keltech. I really should have titled it Hurricane Bill - aftermath, as the hurricane had already passed. We had tons of rain on Friday night and Saturday. That was actually probably the hurricane. Although, this is what was still coming in.

I did notice the third one looks like curvature at the horizon, but it's the only image that appeared that way. I think it might just be the swell of water in the middle. It's funny you liked the first one. I really only posted it because it showed the crowds and cars the best.

Yes, there wasn't a lot of breeze. It was very hot and humid out there. The spray of the water felt good. And, Seabrook to Portsmouth - and back! I wouldn't have made it from Hampton to Rye.

Patty
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:47 AM   #6

Hi Patty,
well done on getting the great pic's without getting drenched
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Super Moderator

the frist 2 really show the power of the water.

nice captures!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:09 PM   #8

I like these Patty!
That lens is really nice.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Smily's.txt (423 Bytes, 57 views)

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:29 PM   #9

Thanks, Simon, Hards80 and GW. Yep, I do like this lens. Great that I didn't have to worry about getting moisture in the camera when changing lenses.

Unfortunately, there was some sad news with these waves yesterday. A seven year old lost her life when watching the waves up in Acadia National Park in Maine. She was with some other people and was pulled into the water when a huge wave hit the rocks they were standing on. About 20 people were pulled into the water. Three, one being the little girl, had to be helped by the Coast Guard. Unfortunately, she did not survive the disaster. The park rangers had been warning people not to go near the rocks, but people were not listening. See story at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082402684.html

I don't know that the waves by where we were were this strong, but it sure makes you realize the power of the sea. My second image was taken at a rocky cliffy area that I would not go near the edge. I was actually standing behind the cliff section on lower rocks. Although, there were others by the edge. The second spot we were, where the third and fourth images were taken, there was no danger where we were sitting. Although, I do have some other images of people in the distance standing out on rocks that were in the water.

It was amazing to see, but so sad about the little girl.

Patty
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:09 AM   #10

Great shots of the power of nature, well done.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote