Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:41 AM   #1

Default Quick question before buying the K2000/KM

I'm looking to buy the Pentax kit mentioned above and I was wondering if the basic lense that comes with it would be enough (DA-L 18-55 Lens) for just general purpose stuff like the beach, indoor pictures and parks. Nothing fancy, just everyday memories of the kids. I figured I would get the best IQ by getting a slr instead of buying a high end p/s....due to my budget I don't see my self buying any lenses anytime soon....so, do you think this lense will do for what I need it for ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:50 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The kit lens is a decent lens and on the K2000 makes for a great package. Understanding the lens' strengths and weaknesses, I've gotten some great images from the kit lens. For instance, it is not suitable for low light situations due to it's maximum aperture and therefore not suitable for action photography either. However, based on your intended use, I believe you will be pleased. If you have the option to get an alternate lens, try the 18-250 from either Pentax or Tamron which will give you the long zoom reach.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:53 AM   #3

jelpee said it all ... I got myself the 18-200 tamron with my first pentax and never have regretted it.

Ronny
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4

The kit lens is great! Other lenses can keep for the future when you get right into this addictive hobby!
Good luck.
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:01 PM   #5

When I bought my K 100DI used the kit lens for about a year. It was (and still is) a fine lens. I understand they are now selling a second generation kit lens which is better than the one I got three or four years ago. As Jelpee said, it's not ideal for low lighting situations, but I think it will be far superior to most p&s cameras available.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:59 PM   #6

Another thing you might want to think about buying soon is a basic flash. The on-board flash is limited. If you can afford the K2000 kit that came with the flash, that would be a good purchase. I think there was one that came with the 50-200 as well as the 18-50, with both of those lenses you'd be able to cover most normal shooting situations.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:09 AM   #7

Skip the kit lens. The 18-55 range will not keep you interested very long. Get the Tamron 18-200 or better yet, if you have the money, get the Tamron 18-250 that works beautifully on my K2000 even in low light.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:14 AM   #8

So is it the kit lense that's not good in low light ?....or is it the camera itself ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:51 PM   #9

what they are saying is if your wanting to take pictures in low light without a flash, this is not a great lens, of course with the flash it will be fine in low light, for general all round use its a decent lens that will keep you happy for a while
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:07 PM   #10

The new generation of kit lens, especially, is very nice for general purpose photography. It is not a low-light lens due to its father limited full aperture. The camera itself, when coupled with a lens that brings in more light, such as an f/2.8 or f/2.0, does fine in low light.

The biggest limitation of the kit lens is its focal length.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote