Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2003, 3:53 AM   #1

Default opinions on the istD

so what's everyone's take on the istD pic quality?

at first glance, images look very soft to me. other sites report capturing the images in raw format and running it thru some Genzo conversion process or software (whatever hat is) improves pic quality. does anyone else agree? i've been waiting a long time for pentax's digital slr (loved my a zx-5n over the years) but have to say that the canon dslrs seem to have the image advantage. i didn't want to stress about capturing in raw mode and doing numerous software tweaking but it seems that this is what has to be done with the pentax and as a novice getting into dslrs, this seems very intimidating as compared to the image quality i prefer in the canons.

sigh, i hate anticipating something for so long and then being let down by it. should i wait for a second gen istd2?? or jump ship to canon?
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2003, 6:56 AM   #2
NHL

Images out of dSLRs are soft by design, and usually can be controlled by the sharpness setting on the camera. This is regularly done so you have room left for USM sharpening in Photoshop, ie even my Canon 10D is that way... Sharpening in camera takes away this ability from you!

All that said I'm all for smaller dSLR and the *ist can brag as being the smallest dSLR to hold that title for now! :P :P :P
This camera uses the same CCD as the D100 so the pictures should be comparable as well. Canon lenses are pretty extensive and you'll have a lot of choice in utrasonic and image stabilization. Some folks are brand conscious, but I get what fit my need... and if you don't need thoses features (or meet your budget) then Pentax is the way to go for you. IMO any camera of this type is already better than most photographers can handle...
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 4:06 AM   #3

thanks for the info NHL. i agree with ur assement but it's hard to judge the camera's performance when some of the other canon images that i viewed at this website blew me away initially. but if as u say, the IstD will yeild that quality of shot after software manipulation, then i'll probably still stick with it. I too love the size of the camera body (as i did with it's film siblings z series cameras) and the features it offers are just what i want. i still would've loved to have seen crystal sharp out of the camera portait shots, but maybe i'll hold onto my zx5n a bit longer for those kinds of shots.
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 7:23 AM   #4
NHL

You can of course increase the sharpness level with the various settings in the *ist, but just like my 10D you'll be losing this leeway in post editing... Most folks just like to preserve this level of control in Photoshop when they have more time @ home!

There's always the more popular NiMh batteries that this camera use too which is another +... I hate to carry so many different adapters and chargers for all these proprietary stuff when traveling... 8)
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 6:31 AM   #5

The Pentax ist D image quallity is exactly the same as the Nikon D100 and is close to the canon D10 (I think thats the name). The main difference between the ist d and canon is the canon will have less noise at iso 800 and above but at iso 800 and below the image quality is about identicle.
With the Pentax and the Nikon D100 the white balence settings and sharping settings maybe different. However if you want full contoll of your photos no matter if you use the ist d, nikon, canon or uncle bob's super groovy 99999 megapixel camera you will use RAW. You will then apply the color balence settings and in your raw software and then with more of color balence and sharpening in PhotoShop or some other photo editing software. Also the new PhotoShop CS supports RAW format.

As far as comparing the IST D with the canon D10 or nikon D100 I like the Pentax better. Reason is Pentax lowered the price to a reasonable price of around $1250 while the canon and nikon sells for $1495. Also the Nikon has no mirror lockup and the pentax does and the canon has a 7 degree partial metering where as the pentax has spot. I shoot nature and mirror lockup and spot metering is a must for me. Pentax gives that to me and Nikon and Canon does not.
govols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:02 AM   #6

In my experience (which isn't very much!), the pics from my Pentax are great. I sharpen in the software, just a little, and when I take them to a photo printer, they come out wonderfully. I have found that CVS's prints are not as sharp as Eckerd's, doing a test and using the same files to print from. Eckerd's prints are even sharper than they appear on my monitor and are right up there with film, in my opinion.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote