Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:02 PM   #1

Default A couple of days in Maine

Spent a few days in Maine last week. My primary task was to re-paint the cottage, a task that was way, way overdue. But Tuesday morning was so spectacularly beautiful that my wife convinced me to take a quick spin around the pond before picking up a paintbrush. Of course, she didn't have to work very hard to persuade me!

I had to take the obligatory shot of the shoreline scenery with the kayak bow in the foreground. I can't decide if I like the vertical or horizontal layout better. What do you think?
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:04 PM   #2

Here's a shot of my wife making good use of her K 200D and the 55-300 lens. She's a better photographer than I am, but she has little interest in hanging out on any on-line forums.
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:10 PM   #3

Most of the water lillies in this pond have white flowers, but in one area there are some pink ones. Most of the pink ones were a pale shade, but a few were a gorgeous deep shade. I did not enhance the pink at all in post processing.

For those of you in the western US, suffering through blistering heat and drought, you have my sympathies. As you can see, we are definitely not sufering through a drought this summer. In fact as I type this, we're getting rained upon, and I understand we're going to get much more rain over the next day or two, as the remnants of Tropical Storn Danny moves up the New England coast.
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Spent a few days in Maine last week. My primary task was to re-paint the cottage, a task that was way, way overdue. But Tuesday morning was so spectacularly beautiful that my wife convinced me to take a quick spin around the pond before picking up a paintbrush. Of course, she didn't have to work very hard to persuade me!

I had to take the obligatory shot of the shoreline scenery with the kayak bow in the foreground. I can't decide if I like the vertical or horizontal layout better. What do you think?
I think the vertical layout suits the portion of the kayak that is visible within the shot. It also makes it look like you're not on a pond but more like a stream/river and it can make the viewer wonder what might be around the next bend.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:34 PM   #5

Just got home from being in Maine all week and saw your post and it made me want to turn around and go back. It was a lovely week except for today. Danny gave us a nasty ride home on the ME Turnpike.

Beautiful shots. I agree with Bluenose about the vertical layout but I like # one the best.

The deep blue of the still pond with the trees reflected makes for a serene scene that makes you want to keep viewing it. The bow of the Kayak is pointing you toward the scene saying, will you look at that!!!

The water lily is another beautiful shot. The color is magnificent.

Nice series!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:20 PM   #6

Hey Mtnman,
Can't say witch I like best, they all look good to me.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:48 AM   #7

The first one in the kayak is my preference. Is it hard to take photos in a kayak on rocky water? Or, do you just have to wait until things stop swaying?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:32 PM   #8

i like the first one better, too, for some reason. I should like the second one better, but I don't (can't explain why). All the others are wonderful shots and I sure wish we could get some of your rain!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:11 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments folks. Patty, I guess it might be tricky for some to take pics from kayak. I have been splashing around in kayaks for about 20 years, so I feel very comfortable in one. But I do remember when I first got in one; it seemed so tippy I wouldn't have dreamed of taking a camera along (except maybe for a waterproof model). Now, if it's a calm day without waves, a kayak feels very stable to me and I'm very comfortable taking my camera.

However, there was that time several years ago when I slipped while getting out of the boat and my K100D got dunked for a second or two. Now, I make sure when I'm getting out of the boat to hold my camera over the cockpit. That way if I slip, I can let go of the camera and it should land on the kayak seat, while I go pitching backward into the drink. Fortunately, since I refined this technique, I have not slipped and therefore have not tested it to see if it will really work as I think.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:30 PM   #10

The first photo gets my vote, mtnman!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote