Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:05 PM   #11

Patty, Jelpee, Bluenose, Hawgwild & GW - Thanks and I am glad you enjoyed it. It was a long frustration with my Loon photography coming to a successful end.

Jnanpentaxfan - I am sure that you will be posting many magnificent pictures for us. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Scott - I think that studying the habit of the Loons this summer has taught me a lot. There is a direction of travel that they take. I try when they submerge to slowly position my boat where I think they are next headed to surface. This is by no means an exact science but it helps the odds.

Without exaggeration I have taken 350 shots of them this summer and Lord knows how many last.

This Loon was not close, as what I got was with 740mm on the K100D. I estimate the Loon was 100 to 200 feet away from my boat.

I tried your technique of using the saturation brush with this picture but found that the shot as taken looked more like what I saw. The only PP I did was minor levels adjust and even less high pass sharpening (1.5 radius with vivid light).

Mtnman - Sorry to hear the chicks on your pond didn't survive.

I sense your frustration in not being able to get a shot of these elusive birds.

Moose Pond where the picture was taken is a large pond and consequently has a lot of boat traffic. I think as the summer wears on the Loons become more tolerant of the boats.

Several weeks ago we went out at dusk to fish and on the way home spotted two Loons. Our boat passed no more than 10 feet from them and they did not submerge. I could have taken a great picture with a 50mm lens. My grandson asked me why I didn't bring my camera. "From the mouth of babes", come words of wisdom!

Mtngal - Yes, Egrets are easier because they have less DR. They also stay put and until airborne are relatively slow moving.

I think that the Light angle on the loon makes all the difference in the quality of the shot. Quite frankly I think more luck than skill was involved in the outcome of this picture. If I could have turned the Loon just slightly the iridescent green on the neck and head of the bird would have improved.

Thank you all again for the kind comments!

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Aug 31, 2009 at 6:06 AM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:18 PM   #12

Well done, a terrific shot, so sharp. Your patience paid off so well.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:20 PM   #13

thats a beautiful sharp photo
and in a boat with a long lens
very impressive

so whats your next challenge

i have thought about a boat
for slow travel on the river
but figure a motor would frighten of any birds
and doubt i could keep a canoe or kayak upright
a dilema
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:32 AM   #14

Lou - congrtulations on such a great shot of such a very difficult subject. It's quite sharp and clear and detailed, and well composed as well.
We only get glimpses of loons here in the later winter/early spring as they are passing through, so thanks for the "up close and personal" shot!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:33 AM   #15

Rodney - As I said to Mtngal, luck was also at play here along with patience. Thanks for the compliment on the picture.

Gumnut - The water was not glass smooth but calm nonetheless. A few of the shots I took were lost to motion blur when my body was unsupported taking shots. Other than loons I find the boat not to upsetting to birds in general except when you are full throttle.

Next challenge is a Loon in flight or a Dragonfly in flight.

Mole - Glad you enjoyed seeing it up close. They are beautiful birds and the mournful cry of the Loon when you are out on the lake is a sound you never get enough of. Thanks for the compliments!

Lou
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:27 PM   #16

That is not a good picture, it's a tremendous picture!
I've got some Loon shots from this summer. Mine look like tiny speckles of sensor dust on water. So I know how "easy" it was for you to get this.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:43 PM   #17

Quite an amazing shot-have seen quite a few over the years on Lake Winnipesaukee-but nothing like this. Should be on a Postage Stamp!
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:26 PM   #18

Kjell & DMJJR, You guys are too generous, with your comments. Kjell, I have lots of those sensor dust photos of loons as well as Bald Eagles. Perhaps someday I'll get close enough to a Bald Eagle to get a nice picture as well.

Lou
Old Aug 31, 2009, 8:15 PM   #19

Those colors and patterns are truly beautiful...can't say I was aware of how magnificent the loons are, that is until you shared your pic. Very nice.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:09 PM   #20

There have been some very good shots of loons on their breeding lakes posted in the Wildlife Forum in the past, but none better than this one.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote