Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Gracie

I took this image of one of our three cats, Gracie earlier this year. I was using a suggestion I read about where the author emphasized the focus on the eyes...i.e. no matter what else was out of focus, keep the eyes in focus. I'm interested to hear your thoughts. K10D...do not recall the lens.
Attached Images

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2009, 1:21 PM   #2

Works for me, jelpee!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:12 PM   #3

I like the eye being in focus, but it takes me a while to find it. I would crop the photo more so more of the eye is in the image. Or, it's more centered or, if you can, give her more place to look so your eye is drawn to where she's looking and then to her eye.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 4:48 PM   #4

I found the eye catching my attention right away as it is sharp and well focused.

I agree with Patty, that more space in front of the cat would make the image more pleasing by giving the cat a place to be looking toward.

Cute cat!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:24 PM   #5

Hi jelpee,

A very Nice portrait of Gracie!!!

I agree with the principle of the eye focus thing, but my 3 cats rarely give me a chance anymore. I've taken so many test shots with them over the past 10 years that they all now totally refuse to cooperate. . . I really don't blame them. . . I don't think I've gotten a good shot of any of them for the last 3 years!

Composing so that the subject is looking into the frame is something that I also try to conform to, but birds and long teles usually means that I can get away with just centering the subject and finalizing the composition with cropping since I have to crop for printing anyway.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:40 PM   #6

It's a great shot, and I agree that if there were a bit more grass on the left side of the frame, that would improve the composition a bit.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:18 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks all for your feedback..now that you mention the issue of the cat looking into the frame, I see how it could look heaps better.

Scott, getting cats to pose is quite the challenge especially when they are affectionate and insist on approaching you as you crouch down low to get the shot.

Gracie was a stray that adopted us. She walked in our door 10 years ago and decided this was where she wanted to stay. They say "a cat is a cat, and that's that"!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Gracie was a stray that adopted us. She walked in our door 10 years ago and decided this was where she wanted to stay. They say "a cat is a cat, and that's that"!
They also say "Dogs have owners -- Cats have staff." -- easily my favorite pet quote. . . and it couldn't be more true -- at least in my house!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:15 PM   #9

Terrific focus on Gracie's eye, she looks lovely.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:29 AM   #10

Great shot of a very cute subject! Would agree that giving her some space to look into would make it even better.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote