Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:15 PM   #11

Yeah, I agree with Pen.
Great pix Mole!
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:33 PM   #12

Your skills as a photographer has been proven many times before, and these shots are in the same league. In this set I think the fungus are my favourites. But why does a Run Park have a Walking trail?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Have you thought about producing a photographic guidebook to your State Park(s)? No one could do it better.
Hi mole,

I'm very much with penolta on this! The photo tours with descriptive comments of the different trails and their inhabitants that you've posted here ALL have had that "high end coffee table photo book" quality and fascination for me and IMHO, they absolutely deserve a wider audience (though you better not stop posting here!!!).

The cool thing is that you could self-publish such a book through a site like "blurb" at a very reasonable cost, if only to get a feel for how it might be received. Just a couple of years ago, this would have been much too cost restrictive, and you'd have to find a publisher and make a major commitment (and probably lose a lot of creative control) to get something like this done. They have free software that you can download which allows you to compose the book in the format that you choose, with both words and images at home on your own computer. You then upload the finished project to their site and they print, bind, and ship it back to you. I haven't used this service, but have looked into this a bit, and this looks like one of the better of these sites.

You certainly have the photographic talent and range of vision from scenic down to macro, in addition to the intimate knowledge of the history, flora, and fauna of your area to pull this off. I encourage you to seriously consider this.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
But why does a Run Park have a Walking trail?
Kjell
LOL - Good one, Kjell. In case you are not punning (and you couldn't be expected to know this), a "run" in this context is in local parlance an old term for a rural creek or small stream - it is the water that is running, not people!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
The cool thing is that you could self-publish such a book.
Scott
True, but there is a potential complication in this approach - since the pictures were produced by an employee of a state agency, if the pictures were taken "on their dime" as it were, they would at the very least have to authorize it, if not actually publish it themselves - you know what government bureaucracies are like. On the other hand, if the pictures were taken during off time, there could be no objection. This is the sort of thing that State Parks like to have available in their interpretive centers, so in some form it should a viable project - even if only as a booklet or a series of brochures.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Have you thought about producing a photographic guidebook to your State Park(s)? No one could do it better.
Mole, I agree with Penolta and Snowstorm that you should look into such a project.

Your nature photos are first rate; you know your subject matter in depth and have a fine way with the narrative.

I have visited more than half of the national parks in the US and numerous state parks as well. I always stop and try and take home a book that will take me back to the place I visited so I can re-live some of the experience.

The photos in this post like all your others are awesome!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:20 PM   #17

Quote:
True, but there is a potential complication in this approach - since the pictures were produced by an employee of a state agency, if the pictures were taken "on their dime" as it were, they would at the very least have to authorize it, if not actually publish it themselves - you know what government bureaucracies are like. On the other hand, if the pictures were taken during off time, there could be no objection. This is the sort of thing that State Parks like to have available in their interpretive centers, so in some form it should a viable project - even if only as a booklet or a series of brochures.
Hi penolta,

You are correct.

I actually considered this, but my thought was more to print and bind a one-off as a personal project at a professional quality level. I think that "publish" was not a good word choice here.

Having something like this in hand could possibly allow for exploring all the possibilities, after all the legal and bureaucratic limitations are given due consideration, which they must. At the very least, it would provide a great way for mole to show off his work to others.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:17 PM   #18

Great shots, looks like a good place for photo opportunities. Do the Mushrooms give you a kick?

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 8:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
But why does a Run Park have a Walking trail?

Kjell
funny.

Mole: I think you got the wrong job. Thank you for sharing another great series.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:30 PM   #20

These are wonderful shots, all of them. They certainly are good enough to be published in something like a guide to state parks - they are every bit as good as a book I was looking at this weekend on the Eastern Sierra.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote