Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:57 PM   #11

I agree with all the above said. I think we all should give credit to the early members like Tom (ennacac) and Roy (robar) who set the standard before most of us joined. Before I joined i lurked some other forums, but the constant quarreling put me off. Here I found a different tune, and have done my best to help keeping it like that. Like Ronny I take photos and take part in this forum for the fun of it, if it wasn't fun and relaxing I wouldn't return. Big hug to everyone!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:19 PM   #12

Biro says:

"And this is only a theory on my part, but I think Pentaxians enjoy being a bit different. I think they enjoy it when other photographers walk up to them and ask them why they don't have a Canon or Nikon. A long time ago I wrote in another post that if Canons and Nikons are the Toyotas and Hondas of the camera world, then Pentaxes and Olympuses are more akin to the Subarus and Mitsubishis. Perfect? Far from it. But very fun and very interesting indeed."

I agree with Biro and I have to say I really like Biro's analogy comparing Japanese cars vs Japanese Cameras.

Canons and Nikons, being # 1 and # 2 in the market, certainly compare with Toyota (# 1) and Honda (Japanese mftr. # 2) . All are fine machines, very durable, reliable with large 'systems'

But I especially like the comparison between Pentax and Subaru. Subaru is not one of the best sellers, but it is a fine, reliable, durable car with significantly 'different' features that separate it from the typical cars...much like Pentax has significant features that separate it from other DSLR's...

My K10D has excellent weather sealing making it weather resistant. It's known for it's robust construction (Pop Photo called it the tank of DSLR's). It has shake reduction within the body as opposed to SR within special lenses as Nikons and most Canon's do...not a huge repertoire of current lenses..but lenses that are known for very fine glass, build quality and ability to capture excellent pictures....and the ability to retro fit and use Pentax mount lenses from the beginning of time...what's the figure 24 million +...

The dust removal system which seems to work very well on my K10D....after 1000's of photos..the DR system seems to keep the sensor clean...touch wood.

The weather sealing, the DR, the SR in the body, robust construction and lens quality were all reasons I chose the K10D..although I admit I had to research the reasons why to go with Pentax, as Pentax didn't advertise it's features that much.

When I think of Subaru I think of it's all weather ability, intriguing features (AWD in all models), availability of either std. engines, turbo or turbo diesel. The engines are based on the flat four / six cylinder design used only by Porsche, VW's of yore, BMW Motorcycles and Lycoming airplane engines.

It's a rugged, little car...the little engine that can..as it were...similar to the Pentax DSLR.

Hope that wasn't too maudlin...lol

Last edited by lesmore49; Sep 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:11 PM   #13

nice thread..
I've noticed that we will go on a DIY if we have too.. and just get help when we need it. we're definitely not a pretentious group.
I've been oral surgery most of the year. first shot canon and this one was nikon.. I've always had a pop photo or outdoor photo with me.. last week they were asked me my opinion of whats best.. i tore the back of the mag(full page pentax ad) and put it in his hand and said ''i don't know, i shoot pentax''
30 years ago i had my choice of going nikon or pentax. specs were real close but the price wasn't.. i'd make the same choice now..
whats great is all these nice lenses from that era are now ISed...very kewl..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:08 PM   #14

I wholeheartedly agree with all the above.
I think the key is, we aren't out to "compete" with each other and we don't let ego get in the way. helping and encouraging each other and sharing our own successes is what's seems to be the main theme here. This is just a great bunch of people here!
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:19 PM   #15

Occasionally, there have been members here who tried to stir up controversy however they were ignored and went away. The fact that we are more interested in photography than equipment bashing makes this a very pleasant place to be.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Occasionally, there have been members here who tried to stir up controversy however they were ignored and went away. The fact that we are more interested in photography than equipment bashing makes this a very pleasant place to be.
there's a lot of people here that have really profited here.... my hats off to them as they are offering help now..
there's no one here that will hold anything against a newb.. we've all been there for them..
when i joined this group, i wasn't sure it would be a success.
i know there's quite a few of you out there that are lurkers. jump in here..

Last edited by robar; Sep 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Biro says:
When I think of Subaru I think of it's all weather ability, intriguing features (AWD in all models), availability of either std. engines, turbo or turbo diesel. The engines are based on the flat four / six cylinder design used only by Porsche, VW's of yore, BMW Motorcycles and Lycoming airplane engines.

It's a rugged, little car...the little engine that can..as it were...similar to the Pentax DSLR.
[/B]
Funny thing - I own a Subaru, too. And a Volvo. Definitely minority tastes - quality, but minority. Folks with different tastes tend to stick together - we march to a different drummer, and enjoy the camaraderie. Dare we think we know what we are doing, rather than just running with the herd?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:42 PM   #18

I'm jumping in late, and there's not muchI can add. This is one of the very few on line forums I visit regularly, and the friendlytone definitely makes the difference. I can't remember how or why it started, but several months , or maybe a year ago, we started discussing how long we had been married. An astonishing number of us have been happily married for more than 20 years. Any group with a large percentage of members who have been happily married for so long knows something about providing honest feedback while supporting and encouraging people.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:45 PM   #19

My reason For Staying with the Group is the same as everyone Elses. I Used to Be a member of several boards. In one Forum it was Roy, myself and two others that were the Pentax Guys. Never really felt comfortable there. Always battles going on.
So Roy said come on over to Steve"s.
Well, everyone here was So much more friendly and Supportive that i just Stayed.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
My reason For Staying with the Group is the same as everyone Elses. I Used to Be a member of several boards. In one Forum it was Roy, myself and two others that were the Pentax Guys. Never really felt comfortable there. Always battles going on.
So Roy said come on over to Steve"s.
Well, everyone here was So much more friendly and Supportive that i just Stayed.
You seem like a very friendly, nice guy...a true Pentaxian and to think all this time I was frightened by your picture icon.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote