Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
we started discussing how long we had been married. An astonishing number of us have been happily married for more than 20 years. Any group with a large percentage of members who have been happily married for so long knows something about providing honest feedback while supporting and encouraging people.
hmm, interesting.. i don't remember that thread.. i'm happy with where i'm at but it will never be like the last one.
two days before her 37th birthday after 17 months of fighting melanoma..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:09 PM   #22

As a very recent (just since this past spring) participant, what attracted me and has kept me posting is the friendliness and helpfullness: the many folks here who have so many years of experience and much wisdom, and who graciously share with new folks like me!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:28 PM   #23

Where I find this forum far superior to others, even other Pentax forums, is that the members are taking and sharing pictures, not arguing over "100 crop straight out of the camera."
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:16 PM   #24

Roy, I can't begin to say how sorry i am to learn of your loss. My wife had a fight with another form of cancer, but it had a much happier outcome. She has been cancer-free for five and a half years. I'm glad you found the strength to move on, but I'm sure the painful memories persist. I just hope they are outweighed by the happy memories.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 3:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Where I find this forum far superior to others, even other Pentax forums, is that the members are taking and sharing pictures, not arguing over "100 crop straight out of the camera."

I second that. Troll messages can hardly attract response in here as it definitely involves only provocational languages, not images.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 3:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Occasionally, there have been members here who tried to stir up controversy however they were ignored and went away. The fact that we are more interested in photography than equipment bashing makes this a very pleasant place to be.
There is no lack of long time members making sure that troll threads are not getting anywhere.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 3:34 PM   #27

I agree with everyone's comments so far. I started out at Steve's in a different forum, but got real tired of the negative comments that continued even after numerous people would make comments about the comments. This was not critiquing of photos people couldn't take either. This was nitpicking by one person in particular that didn't stop.

Anyway, I'd periodically checked out the Pentax forum, but sometimes felt overwhelmed with the knowledge of people here. But, then, the more I hung around (lurking at first), the more I learned. Then I started feeling like I might be able to have some limited input on things. I was never criticized or ridiculed for asking a stupid question. And, now I feel like you are all friends.

Interesting about the Subaru/Pentax analogy. We are a three Subaru family. Although, I must admit I'm not one of the three. I seriously looked at them, but just couldn't find one that "fit" me. But, we are all definitely a family that does not just buy the brand because everyone says it's the best. We do our research and buy what works for us. And, Subaru and Pentax work for us. As does living where we live, and the jobs we choose, etc.

There are leaders and followers and I think Pentax people are leaders.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 7:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
there's a lot of people here that have really profited here.... my hats off to them as they are offering help now..
there's no one here that will hold anything against a newb.. we've all been there for them..
That would be me. I have mentioned this in other similar threads but I first showed up here researching a Dslr for my wife. I did not figure it would get used much and the istDL was the cheapest thing on the market. Everyone here was very helpful to a complete novice and I was so impressed with the photos being posted I knew that a) my wife was not getting a camera, I was and b) it had to be a Pentax so I could be part of this forum.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
I was never criticized or ridiculed for asking a stupid question. And, now I feel like you are all friends.
tim,
everyone appreciates your company here.. i know i do..

patty,
you too

about the above quote.. i've always said that the only stupid/dumb question is the ''one you did not ask..''

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:46 PM   #30
Administrator

I've been very impressed by how friendly the Pentax community is here. Frankly, I wish more of our equipment specific forums had the same "spirit" (for lack of a better term).

IOW, market share numbers don't always tell the whole story. ;-)

I think the best way to describe most of the Pentax users here is that they (in other words, you guys/gals) have "fun". I sometimes forget that part (if you're not having fun, you may not enjoy this hobby and/or profession as much), which is probably the most important part.

Steve has always wanted the forums here to be a place for camera users to have fun, and Pentax users seem to know how to do that -- sharing their experiences, whether that's finding a new bargain lens, finding a way to take better photos, or just sharing a recent experience like a family gathering, vacation, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote