Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:11 PM   #31

wow,
what praise from a mod??
jim, the other forum i frequent(pentaxforums.com) is the same.. matter of fact all the pentax forums i seen are the same way.. hmm, even at dpr which i seldom visit..
a gripe about here is there is not a way to trade, sell here. all you need do is post a disclaimer about liability..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I think the best way to describe most of the Pentax users here is that they (in other words, you guys/gals) have "fun". I sometimes forget that part (if you're not having fun, you may not enjoy this hobby and/or profession as much), which is probably the most important part.
I think maybe enthusiasm is a better word - fun implies only playtime - and this is much more, providing deep satisfaction as well as joy in accomplishment. I have always maintained (as others here have too) that the photographer makes the picture, not the equipment, which is why I have been so satisfied with the K20 that I have been in no hurry to buy a K7. HOWEVER -- that enthusiasm extends to the equipment too, and makes one want to share in that as well, which is why I just gave in . . . .
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:28 PM   #33

penolta - you didn't really give in, did you? Oh, how we rather egg each other on, getting new cameras and lenses! You are right about us being an enthusiastic bunch, wanting others to share our excitement and love for our hobby. But it is also fun for me - most of my playtime IS taken up with photography, whether it be taking pictures or reading articles.

JimC - I can think of a few times past were there have been some problems here. Part of the reason this group is so friendly is due to all of your hard work (and John, too) - dealing with those problems quickly and appropriately. This is a very well-run board, which is one of the reasons I started hanging out here way back when, and why I've never left.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 5:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
, and why I've never left.
we would truly miss you if you did
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:59 PM   #35

There's little I can add to this "love fest." I'm like the others who have posted in that I have come to think of members of this forum as friends.

Some have said we are not "competitive," but I'm not so sure that's entirely true. However, it's much more of a "Wow, I'd like to be able to do that" form of competition. And, when you ask how someone here achieved a particularly nice effect, they never fail to share their secrets.

One very important thing that I feel adds to the camaraderie of this forum is the manner in which criticisms are phrased. Photos are are generally shared for a couple of reasons: 1) because the photographer is proud of them or 2) seeking criticism for purposes of improvement. When suggestions for improvement are offered, they are almost always offered in the spirit of helping. In other forums, the attitude is of often one of extreme superiority. People here tend to be very considerate of others.

I have to think of a set of lyrics you'll all recognize

Be glad there's one place in the world
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to go where people know,
People are all the same;
You want to go where everybody knows your name.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:45 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
wow,
what praise from a mod??
jim, the other forum i frequent(pentaxforums.com) is the same.. matter of fact all the pentax forums i seen are the same way.. hmm, even at dpr which i seldom visit..
a gripe about here is there is not a way to trade, sell here. all you need do is post a disclaimer about liability..
Sorry Roy. We don't want the hassles right now. There are just too many problems associated with allowing buy/sell/trade posts. It's very hard to keep out the scammers. Plus you'd have conflicts leading to hard feelings between members when deals go sour and more.

You'd end up generating more traffic, with members plugging their own listings as often as possible, making it harder to police the main forums, even if you did have a separate forum setup for it, with discussions about the for sale items clogging up the other forums.

We have enough of that kind of thing already. I remove a *lot* of posts from members joining just to plug their products and services; or joining for the sole purpose of trying to sell their personal gear. This is not Ebay. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:58 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
JimC - I can think of a few times past were there have been some problems here. Part of the reason this group is so friendly is due to all of your hard work (and John, too) - dealing with those problems quickly and appropriately. This is a very well-run board, which is one of the reasons I started hanging out here way back when, and why I've never left.
Yes, from time to time, we have to get involved when members refuse to be civil in the forums after warnings about their behavior. I guess that makes me the "bad guy" in some cases, as you'll typically see members take sides when disputes erupt. It's nice to know that someone appreciates the actions we sometimes need to take, making tough judgment calls in order to "keep the peace", even if some of those judgment calls are not very popular. Thanks.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:17 PM   #38

i like it here because you keep letting me come back

one of the things i do like is the activity and participation
i wish i could do more
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
i like it here because you keep letting me come back

one of the things i do like is the activity and participation
i wish i could do more
John, there is nothing wrong with your level of participation - we all do what we can - your contributions are noted and appreciated. Thanks for keeping coming back.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote