Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Default Why does the Pentax DSLR forum have the most threads, etc. ?

Check it out on this website...more than Nikon DSLR, more than Canon DSLR...if both the big 2 outsell Pentax...why do we have more activity on the Pentax DSLR site ?

I'm mystified.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:05 PM   #2

Because its all about the pictures and Pentaxians love to take (and share) pictures. We're a friendly, fairly close-knit group who like to share our successes and ask for help when we fail. We are all-inclusive when it comes to equipment, regardless of whether you use 30 year old Takumar lenses or modern DA* ones. We don't care which Pentax camera you use, we like to see talent regardless.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Because its all about the pictures and Pentaxians love to take (and share) pictures. We're a friendly, fairly close-knit group who like to share our successes and ask for help when we fail. We are all-inclusive when it comes to equipment, regardless of whether you use 30 year old Takumar lenses or modern DA* ones. We don't care which Pentax camera you use, we like to see talent regardless.
Interesting take...you maybe right. I wonder if 'close knit group' would describe Pentaxians in general...or just this site ?

If true, also wonder if there is something about owning and using a Pentax SLR/DSLR that engenders these characteristics ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:09 AM   #4

Well, this is a particularly close-knit group here at Steve's Pentax forum. But check out PentaxForums.com. It's pretty much the same thing - even if a bit more raucous.

I think Harriet pretty much sums it up. It really is all about the pictures and enjoying interaction with other like-minded people. I remember a few months back when Pentax's (as in Pentax USA President) Ned Bunnell picked up the Leica equivalent of the Panasonic LX3 and was waxing poetic about the camera on his own Web blog. Some non-Pentax people were amazed (and highly critical) that a Pentax executive could be going on how how great this non-Pentax camera was. But the host of 1001noisycameras.com was impressed. He noted that the Pentax way seemed to be more enlightened than the fanboy rhetoric one often sees with the Big Two.

Pentaxians aren't fanboys. They love their cameras but are a bit more relaxed about it and are quite willing to acknowledge excellence in other brands when they see it. But Pentaxians also recognize good value - something that Pentax has offered over the long haul despite the recent spike in lens prices. Pentaxians also love Pentax glass - the new and the classic - but are willing to acknowlege occasional stumbles.

And this is only a theory on my part, but I think Pentaxians enjoy being a bit different. I think they enjoy it when other photographers walk up to them and ask them why they don't have a Canon or Nikon. A long time ago I wrote in another post that if Canons and Nikons are the Toyotas and Hondas of the camera world, then Pentaxes and Olympuses are more akin to the Subarus and Mitsubishis. Perfect? Far from it. But very fun and very interesting indeed.

Last edited by Biro; Sep 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:21 AM   #5

Well said Harriet, couldn't agree more.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:59 AM   #6

I have only been actively posting for a short time here. I have been a Pentaxian for only a little over 3 years. I have lurked on all the other sites and posted two or three times on the Pentax Forums site.

I chose to stay here because I felt the people here were not quarrelsome, were helpful, and there was a kind of camaraderie among the posters that I did not see elsewhere that made me want to join in.

I am here to learn from others and share what limited knowledge I may have. I also echo Harriet's comments.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
I have only been actively posting for a short time here. I have been a Pentaxian for only a little over 3 years. I have lurked on all the other sites and posted two or three times on the Pentax Forums site.

I chose to stay here because I felt the people here were not quarrelsome, were helpful, and there was a kind of camaraderie among the posters that I did not see elsewhere that made me want to join in.

I am here to learn from others and share what limited knowledge I may have. I also echo Harriet's comments.

Lou
Your reasons very much mirror my own.

Most of my posts are are in the Pentax DSLR forum simply because Pentax is my camera of choice and the topics discussed provide me with relevant information. The photographs posted allow me to see the capabilities of Pentax equipment and the quality of those images can certainly inspire me to improve. In all of the forums on this site, not just Pentax DSLR, there is a friendliness and civility that unfortunately is not always present in some other websites and forums.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:14 AM   #8

Photography has to be fun for me, its not my job but more an escape from it.
And that is also for the forum where I spend my time.

I joined Steves when I first got my panasonic fz5 (still have it, still like it) and I loved the people and the panasonic forum.

Then when I got my k10d I came over to this forum, and the same spirit and camaraderie was here.

Other forums for me spend more time with what is wrong with the camera than with using what they have got and enjoying it.

Im just happy I found this place, and plan to stay ...

Ronny
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:44 AM   #9

I'm a Pentax user because I like "bang for the buck". I want the best overall value I can get for my money and believe that, all things considered, Pentax usually delivers. I also REALLY like their lenses and the fact that I can get image stabilization with ALL my lenses because Pentax built it into the camera.

The reason I LOVE this forum is because I'm a complete novice and I am treated with kindness and respect. All the criticism that has been offered has been constructive and provided with the goal of helping me become a better photographer. The pictures posted are great as well and I learn a lot by reading the comments that are made.

Jerry

Last edited by jnanpentaxfan; Sep 1, 2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:47 AM   #10

This community is great, that's for sure. I came to Pentax as a name I recognized, my father had (still has) a Pentax Program Plus SLR and I remember that name brand growing up because of that. When I purchased a 35 P&S I bought a Pentax IQZoom90 which I still have as well but don't really use anymore. The brand name sticks with me and when it came time that I wanted to buy a DSLR, not only did the name catch my attention but for me just starting out, the *istDL was the perfect price as well. And since I had jumped aboard the Pentax DSLR boat, I just made the natural progression upwards to the K20D when the price was right for me and it helps that the lenses that I bought can all be used as well.

The community has been great here and I love to see other people's pictures. I still have a lot to learn about photography but I feel like I can get that knowledge from those on this forum and pentaxforums where I also frequent. I'm taking the elements of photography one at a time really until I feel comfortable with them and the feedback is fantastic. I haven't really spent time looking at other forums, but it just sounds like even though they are pretty decent for the most part, they don't have the same kind of family feel that the Pentax groups tend to have.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote