Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:14 PM   #11

Hi Again,

The stretching bothered me, so I tried a couple of things. I think the best result came from resizing the horizontal back to 800 pixels while unlocking the aspect ratio to keep the vertical dimension the same. I then sharpened a touch with Focus Magic and touched up the worst of the jpeg artifacts with the smoothing tool. This obviously would be better with the original, but this is just an illustration of what can be done.

Scott

BTW, this is a pretty neat shot
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:28 PM   #12

You can do something similar to what Scott did in Photoshop, using the transform command (use the transform, skew and then just pull and push the corners back and forth/up and down until you get what looks right). I think you can do the same thing in PSE, but am not sure (I don't use PSE much). Quite often, instead of trying to correct for the perspective distortion caused by looking up (especially if I'm using a really wide angle lens), I'll accentuate it, making it an artistic component of the picture. It's a great picture, and I like Scott's second correction best, though I personally don't mind the lines in your first one. LOVE the colors!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameanee View Post
Handheld K100d w/ Tamron 18-250 ISO1600 @ 18mm. Resized otherwise straight from camera.

Shooting JPEG, already I am aware that I'm limited for post processing. It was night concert in Pershing Square, so noise was expected along with other technical deficiencies.

It's the "leaning" buildings that I was wondering about. If so, what PP tool would I try?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3878217370/

Hey Cameanee,
I can't remember if you have PhotoShop or not but,another plugin you might like to try is "DCE Tools" it's very simple to use and you can download a free trial version here.

http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/index.html

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:57 PM   #14

GW,

Wow. That definately improves that issue. It's nice to know that some stuff in JPEG is correctable.

We currently have PaintShop Pro 2. The most recent full version of Photoshop we have is the older 7.0 and I'm not sure if it's even useable today. My husband was so nice to get it for me, but the learning curve was so high, I never gave it a try. And those "helpful" books didn't even work for me. (ha!)

I have some very basic PP skills, but realize I have to move beyond that if I want to effectively correct my photos or shoot RAW.

I'll check into DCE Tools. You are the 2nd one to share about that one.

MTNGAL: thanks. I liked the colors too.

Again, thanks.
Gina
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:57 PM   #15

As several others have pointed out, it is correctable. I have PSE 6 and i think there's a command called "perspective correction." It works very easily. But I agree with those who said they like the tilted lines in the original. Really, I like the original more than any of the corrected versions.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:26 PM   #16

why correct it
tall buildings do get narrow at the top which gives the feeling of distance
i have never been bothered by supposeded leaning buildings
what i find odd are buildings that are the same width at the top as the bottom because they were "corrected"
maybe a negative rotation so that the right leans the same as the left??

i am at work so i cant play with the image sorry
the colours in it are great though
a really nice shot
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:48 AM   #17

I would be very conservative about correcting this, I have done this using the technique that Harriet suggested but the warning is that if you take it to the point where the verticals are correct, the image will look bizarrely misshapen. I would just correct enough to eliminate the "falling away" look, which Snostorm has done.

It is not that difficult to do, pp is something you need to play with a lot in order to discover how it all works.

Good luck (great image BTW)
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameanee View Post
GW,

Wow. That definately improves that issue. It's nice to know that some stuff in JPEG is correctable.

We currently have PaintShop Pro 2. The most recent full version of Photoshop we have is the older 7.0 and I'm not sure if it's even useable today. My husband was so nice to get it for me, but the learning curve was so high, I never gave it a try. And those "helpful" books didn't even work for me. (ha!)

I have some very basic PP skills, but realize I have to move beyond that if I want to effectively correct my photos or shoot RAW.

I'll check into DCE Tools. You are the 2nd one to share about that one.

MTNGAL: thanks. I liked the colors too.

Again, thanks.
Gina

Hey Gina,
Don't be intimidated about the learning curve. Some are easier than others but, they're all worth the effort. I recently purchased a copy of CS4 and find it absolutely amazing all the things you can do with it! believe it or not, I'm using the owners manual from PS6 (one we have at work) to discover how to do most of what I need to do, so yes PS7 is still a very useful version to have and I highly recommend learning it! Take it just one step at a time and before you know it you'll be an old hand at PP and everything you learn will be of value if and when you decide to upgrade.
Good luck and don't give up!

BTW, I love your photo. you have a good eye.

Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Sep 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote