Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:11 PM   #1

Default not sure what will grow from this bulb

As they've just banned 100W light bulbs in the UK (for household use at least) there have been lots of nice pictures of glowing filaments in light bulbs on the news, so I thought I would have a try myself. This is one of my first attempts - not sure I like the background might try and get a bit of black card to put behind the bulb and try again this weekend. I would like to get a bit more of a glow on the actual globe if I could but not sure I know how to do this - I'm guessing the best way will be to merge a couple of images in photoshop but am welcome to suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks, Michael
Attached Images

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:24 PM   #2

EXIF says ''flash used''.. best for this shot is let the light do it's thing.. you'll need a tripod.. let me look around and i'll post some LEDs i shot..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:33 PM   #3

red and blue LEDs

blue only

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4

a photo of a flouro just wont be the same as the good old filament globes
you got the glow to show, but deffinatly try again without the flash
and let us have a look at that on too

i am wondering if you shon a torch (flashlight) onto the glass what would happen
??>>>
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:34 PM   #5

Definitely try without the flash using a tripod. Also, if you have one, use a circular polarizer to get rid of some reflections.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:58 AM   #6

thanks for the advice - the first pictures I took were without the flash and all I got was the glowing filament and couldn't see any of the actual glass (although they looked quite nice pictures), which is why I used the flash which helped. Not sure i am going to be able to use the tripod - I searched the web and they said the best way to photograph the light bulb is to use one on a dimmer switch, unfortunately the only light I have on a dimmer switch is hanging from the ceiling so I had to stand on the chair to take this picture and my tripod won't go this high. I will have a bit more of a play and see what I come up with and post the results on here

Thanks
thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:12 AM   #7

A great attempt, and will look forward to your more refined next results. Do try a flashlight (torch) from different angles too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote