Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:22 PM   #11

Great captures Ira. I also like the silhouettes the best. We have moose here in Vermont, but they're not nearly as plentiful as I have been told in Newfoundland. My wife and I are hoping to visit your wonderful island some time in the near future. We would very much like to see both moose and caribou, though probably not immediately outside our tent, and definitely not rolling up over the hood of our car.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:50 PM   #12

Terific shots, the last are best.
The largest wild animals we have around here, in the outer suburbs are introduced Red Deer.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:13 PM   #13

Ira - really love the last two! We don't have anything like that around here - our "speed bumps" are bears. They sure do make a mess of a Honda Fit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:44 PM   #14

What a great series. The silhouettes are so cool.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:33 AM   #15

Great captures, always find it incredible that those animals live so close by.

Ronny
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Ira, I like the last two silhouettes the best. Paste in a moon over the house and you've got a winner.

I came close to hitting one of those speed bumps last fall in Maine. They get a little wacky during the rutting season.

Lou
Live here for a while and you see some strange things:
1- one morning there was a big bull on the side of the highway kicking at the cars as they tried to sneak by.
2- I had to drive along behind three until they finally decided to get off the highway.
3- A crowd of 30-40 people had gathered to watch one standing in a small pond munching on the pond grass.
4- I was walking across the parking lot of the Avalon Mall, the largest shopping mall in St. John's, when I heard what I thought was a horse. I turned around to see a moose trot past and jump a 6 foot chain link fence to run up the river which eventually leads back to the woods.

these are just a few that come to mind.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:26 PM   #17

Nice work, Ira. I have to love moose... although I have a healthy respect for them. The last time I was up visiting a buddy in Halifax about four years ago, I found myself parked alongside a rural highway (aren't they all rural in the Maritimes?) in the middle of Nova Scotia. A cow and her calf popped out of the woods along the side of road. They didn't seem alarmed at all - more curious. I took out my camera and was about to get a fantastic shot when two Harleys with straight (read: loud) pipes roared by. That startled the moose and off they went. *Sigh* I'm a motorcyclist myself. But that is one of many examples why I hate really loud pipes.

Another time - about 25 years earlier - that same buddy and I were refueling at a gas station just outside Waterville, Maine, when a bull moose came trotting out of the woods, took a look at the Volkswagen Beetle parked next to the pumps adjacent from us - and charged it. Broadsided the VW head-on and knocked it on its side. After that, the moose just trotted calmly back into the woods. We helped the stunned VW owner get the Beetle back on all four tires. After a quick oil refill, the car started right up and drove away with minor body damage. I still wonder what that animal thought the VW was.

Like I say... gotta love moose. Just never loose that healthy respect.

Last edited by Biro; Sep 3, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:38 AM   #18

Knocked over a VW!!! That was one ticked off moose.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:41 AM   #19

While these images might not make to the front page of NatGeo, they do demonstrate how a camera can be handy at exciting moments - can we call them "Pentax Moments"?
The reference to elks, or moose as you north Americans insist on calling them, as speed bumps, are all to familiar to us in Sweden too. But now a new nuisance have added to that. A few months ago I saw this warning sign added to the old one:
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:43 AM   #20

But another new sign is rather cute, don't expect anyone to make these ones speed bumps on purpose:
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote