Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:10 PM   #11

Glad to see you let the cat out of the bag. I was wondering if you were ever going to tell anyone. I wouldn't have been able to hold out and been here that night.

And, very nice moon shot. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you can do with it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:48 PM   #12

Jelpee, GW, Jim C, NonEntity1, Mole, Rodney, & Gina..... Thank you all for your good wishes and nice comments regarding my first post shot with the new toy.

Gina I feel that the tug you feel will soon pull 1300 big ones from your wallet.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Lou,
It is rather intimidating at first -- nah -- it's still pretty intimidating after a couple of months. . . there's still a lot I haven't even gotten around to playing with.
Scott
Scott, thank you for that comment. At least I know I am not alone learning all the details of this fine camera.

Thank you also for the helpful details you provided in your post.

The first thing I did was upgrade the firmware. I will not go and download from the German site unless I encounter a problem. Live view and video are not as important to me as is the fast auto focus and shutter speed and more than anything the shorter VF blackouts.
You and I live in a much cooler climate than Harriet. From what I read heat seems to be part of the culprit with the green Line problem. Live view and video are heat generators.

I have ordered a 16GB SanDisk Extreme IV SDHC card. I should have it Tuesday. I also have an aftermarket second Battery.

Today I sat in the front of my boat with the camera while it was anchored and shot any action that came my way, boat, Sea Doo, water skiers, and birds. I kept the camera in Hi multi shot mode and began to find out as you said you needed to lock focus first and then stay with the moving object.

Again Scott, thank you for your long detailed and helpful post.

Lou
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:38 PM   #14

Harriet, as I said to Scott it is encouraging to me to hear I am not alone with the long learning curve. I think we will all in time get to be able to draw upon all the tools this wonderful camera provides.

I am finding some of the nuances of the camera and will in time be able to figure out how it behaves with my individual lenses and make adjustments...and I can always fall back on my K100 as I will not part with it.

Thanks for your comments.

Lou
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Glad to see you let the cat out of the bag. I was wondering if you were ever going to tell anyone. I wouldn't have been able to hold out and been here that night.

And, very nice moon shot. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you can do with it.

Patty
Perhaps we should let everyone know what really happened to my first K-7 pictures that never got shown.

When I went to help Patty at her exhibition I brought my new K-7(the battery had finished charging minuets before leaving to go help her). When I got to the exhibition I told Patty that my first K-7 post would be titled "Pictures at an Exhibition". I took a few shots of Patty standing in front of one of her lovely photos and this was to be my first K-7 submission.

In the frustration of working to learn the new camera that evening I took many trial pictures and before going to bed formatted the SDHC card forgetting the pictures that I had taken for my first post were on the card. Boo Hoo. Thus the moon shot instead.

Thanks Patty for your nice comments.

Lou
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post

Gina I feel that the tug you feel will soon pull 1300 big ones from your wallet.
I still have the k100d and easily steered clear from upgrading from it simply because I felt I hadn't mastered the whole digitial/computer thing.

But if my schedule allows, I might join Ned Bunnell at the Samy's Pentax event next week. Maybe a K-7 will come home with me.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 4:15 AM   #17

congrats Lou, I'm sure your gonna like the upgrade.

Ronny
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameanee View Post
, I might join Ned Bunnell at the Samy's Pentax event next week. Maybe a K-7 will come home with me.
Gina, Looking forward to your first shot. Sounds like it's in the bag.

The exposures I have taken with it so far indicate a lot less PP will be needed with this camera as the white balance and 77 point metering system give me better images right out of the camera than the K100.

Lou
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
congrats Lou, I'm sure your gonna like the upgrade.

Ronny
Thanks Ronny, I already do.

Lou
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:40 AM   #20

Great moon shot, enjoy your new camera. Now if only I could find a way...
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses