Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:08 AM   #21

Lou, congrats on the K-7. Like everyone else, I find myself sometimes overwhelmed by its capabilities, and I suspect it will be a few months before I start to really maximize its potential.

I just added the battery grip and that went a long way to solving the one problem I had with the K-7. Because I have very large hands, I found real difficulty shooting without a tripod with the Bigma without camera shake getting into the equation. With the grip, the weight is much better balanced and I've seen significant improvement.

The focusing on my BIF shots has been better, although I've yet to try the multi-point focusing on it (I may do that this morning), but I definitely agree with Scott that one of the keys on AFS-C is to get the first shot in a burst in focus.

Beautiful moon shot and a worthy way to welcome the new addition.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:12 PM   #22

Samys on Sunday, huh? Sounds like a good excuse to venture down into the big city to show some support for Pentax. Maybe they'll have a DA*16-50 for sale that doesn't have any fault and I can finally buy it. I wouldn't be able to get the rebate as I already sent it in, but ever since I saw how sharp that lens can be, I've wanted a good one. It would have been really useful last week. Hmmmm - my husband will probably NOT thank you for pointing this out!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:34 PM   #23

Harriet - it is this Friday and Saturday

Samy's hasn't been advertising or carrying Pentax at all* - now they will be offering the K7 with a $60 discount on the grip. My complaint about Bunnell's last minute posting and non-email notification is reinforced, since I just broke down and ordered one from B&H last night - without the grip! I'll be sitting at home during the Friday session waiting for UPS - maybe I'll go Saturday, or maybe I'll stay home and strike - while I play with the new toy.

*Their full page Anniversary Sale no sales tax event ad for the week is in today's paper - there is no mention of Pentax whatsoever. The calendar of demos and other upcoming events on their website has no mention of these Pentax demos. Their list of products in inventory carried does not include the K7 - only the K200 and K20 as special order only - not even the K2000 (or Harriet's 16-50). Samy's is not committed to this brand - if Pentax doesn't front an ad for them later in the week, they won't get enough of a turnout to change their mind.

Last edited by penolta; Sep 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Lou, congrats on the K-7. Like everyone else, I find myself sometimes overwhelmed by its capabilities, and I suspect it will be a few months before I start to really maximize its potential.
Paul
Paul,

It seems it will be a steep learning curve. My 80-400 sometimes looks like it may be having a front focusing issue. I may have to try making an adjustment in the camera. My Viv series 1 Macro is better than ever on this body. I need to do a lot more shooting with all my lenses in order to settle in to its idiosyncrasies and make whatever adjustments are necessary.

I have a very small hand and will not be getting a hand grip.

Thanks for the compliment on the moon shot.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:21 AM   #25

penolta - thanks for pointing out that I had mis-read the notice - the sale is from today until next Sunday at 5 (not Sunday only), but there will be people at various Samys locations Thursday, Friday and Saturday. That's what I get for trying to read stuff here when I'm distracted by a room full of family.

Samys wasn't carrying Pentax at all a month or so ago. When I asked the question at the Redondo Beach meeting about whether anyone in SoCal was carrying Pentax, Ned said that they were negotiating with Samys. It sounds like the negotiations might have been successful, and I'm willing to come out and show my support. Even if the DA*16-50 isn't on sale, I'll still ask about it (though I'll most likely go to the LA store). I'm just glad that they are (hopefully) going to be carrying it again.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
there will be people at various Samys locations Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'm just glad that they are (hopefully) going to be carrying it again.
It would help Pentax immeasurably if they do, but it is that advertising thing again - who's to know? Thursday is only at the LA main store - all four on Sat and Sun. If you are going Thursday, Harriet, you might let us know if they have any stock on hand or are only taking orders - that would provide a clue as to their intentions. You might also ask about the initial purchase incentives - apparently these are at an end, as the extended warranty is now being offered separately for purchase by B&H and Beach Camera, but is being provided free by both with the camera (mine are separately invoiced, and so are not packaged by Pentax). I don't know about the lens discount program, but I expect that it has expired, too.

Last edited by penolta; Sep 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
*Their full page Anniversary Sale no sales tax event ad for the week is in today's paper - there is no mention of Pentax whatsoever. The calendar of demos and other upcoming events on their website has no mention of these Pentax demos.
Samy's has a large cover ad in today's paper, and this time there is mention of the Pentax K7 demo - the days for each store, but not hours that they will be there each day (as posted on Ned Bunnell's blog).
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:23 PM   #28

I'm not able to go until Saturday, but I'll definitely ask about a couple of things. It might be a problem for me if they really HAVE the lens as I'm not exactly in a position to buy right now. I was thinking of going down to the Orange County location since that's the only one Ned is going to be at (assuming I remembered correctly). I'd like to ask him about whether my second DA*16-50 might have been damaged in transit.

If Samys will carry Pentax, they'll get the vast majority of my business, as I prefer to buy locally (I'm still disappointed that Bel Air no longer carries Pentax in-stock).