Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:24 PM   #1

Default gallery thoughts - lessons learned

Well, after my last post on this last Sunday a lot has happened. I did get the dreaded e-mail Monday that one of my photos had fallen off the wall. They had cleaned up the mess for me.

I went straight down after work to fix that one and set out the photo title list, guest book and cards. We double checked all the prints and put extra tape on the backs of the ones we'd used the 3M tape on. Although, the few that already had it on, it had rolled up on. Left to buy some more fishing line to rehang the downed one and upon returning another one had fallen and they'd had to clean it up. After much debating, yet again, we decided to take them all down and I'd leave work early the next day and we'd hang them with hanging wire on the metal hooks.

I had informed Lou (keltech) not to go down yet as they weren't hanging and he kindly offered to come help the next day. So, Tuesday afternoon, Lou, my aunt and I rewired all the photos and rehung them. I was very thankful for his kindness as we would have never gotten it done that day without him. It was much appreciated. And, another reason I like this forum.

Since they are hung from the metal hooks in the middle of the frames, they sort of tilt outward from the wall. But, we figure it gives the shorter people an advantage to viewing them.

Anyway, here's three images of the room. One of each wall and one of the set up I did for listing the images. I have not had a chance to go down again since Tuesday, but at least haven't gotten any more e-mails that I need to. Either that or they gave up on me and just put my photos away in some closet until I go to pick them up. I should have checked the white balance or shot in RAW. I don't know what I should have done about the blown out ceiling lights. Ideas welcome on how to photograph the room better.

I had taken some group photos of the pictures on the walls, but either me or the camera (I think I know which) wasn't working right. So, all I have is these.

Patty

p.s. Oh, and lesson learned - If you are going to use the 3M tape, make sure it sets first. That was my impatient husband's idea that "they don't really mean it has to sit for one FULL hour. Two minutes is enough time." Probably better lesson is just use picture hanging wire and metal hooks.
Attached Images

Last edited by nhmom; Sep 5, 2009 at 9:29 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:51 PM   #2

It looks like you got it working right in the end, and you did learn some new things in the process - can't argue with that. Also, I wouldn't sweat the ceiling lighting in these pictures. About the only way around it would be to auto bracket and do an HDR shot, but I don't think it is necessary (it's not to me, at least). It sure looks good in these pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:45 PM   #3

Well we all live and learn, the room looks nice and well done Lou for helping.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:13 AM   #4

looks like a nice gallery,

Ronny
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:53 AM   #5

Thank you for the nice compliments. Having had photos hung for the public along with hundreds of others for fairs, this seem strange to see only mine on the walls.

Patty
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Thank you for the nice compliments. Having had photos hung for the public along with hundreds of others for fairs, this seem strange to see only mine on the walls.

Patty
Congratulations Patty.
I think you did a great job! (and Lou too)
Now, how did you get the library to let you do this?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Congratulations Patty.
Now, how did you get the library to let you do this?
Now that's what I'd like to know as well!! I think it is great that you were able to exhibit your works in a place like that...I'd like to do the same, but am not sure my work is worthy of a public exposition! I'd love to see the images up close...do you have it for viewing on a web album?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:27 PM   #8

well done on the exhibition
are you famous now
do we get autographs ??

the only thing with the lighting in the room you could try, that i can think of, is to underexpose then use curves in an editor to lift the dark areas, it may work

and good onya Lou for helping out
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:20 PM   #9

Thanks, GW, jelpee and gumnut. You asked how I got them in there. The librarian saw some of my photos and told me about this room they allow local artists to display their work in for a month. I wrote to the woman in charge, she asked to see some of my work and told me I passed. I've since found out other libraries in the area do the same thing.

jelpee - You said you weren't sure your photos were worthy. Are you kidding? Your's are great. You also asked about a web album. I need to go back on Wednesday and will be taking individual photos of them so I can share with my parents in CA. I'll post here when I get the web page set up.

gumnut - Another idea that I'm not sure would work or not. Maybe I could just turn those center lights off and just use the spot lights to light the room. Simple solution if it works. I think I'll try that Wednesday.

Patty
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:09 AM   #10

Congratulations on a great exhibit - it sure looks good and I hope it's worth all your (and Lou's) work on the setup. How has the public response been so far?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote