Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonEntity1 View Post
Good, I am not the only one then!
There was a problem, and it seemed to have been fixed by this morning. I did put one up this morning but JimC says the problem still exists - must be intermittent.

Last edited by penolta; Sep 10, 2009 at 9:04 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:03 AM   #22

Took this in Utah at Cedar Breaks and I wanted to get as much DOF as possible to make everything in focus in the image from extremely close up to infinity.

K10D, 125sec, f/22, Pentax DA16-45mm @ 16mm, GorillaPod, full frame no crop!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:27 PM   #23
daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
K10D, 125sec, f/22, Pentax DA16-45mm @ 16mm, GorillaPod, full frame no crop!
I kind of like this. The fallen tree leads up to the standing trees.

Did you know that at 16mm @ f/11 the Hyperfocal distance is just under 4 feet and that give you every thing from 2 feet to infinity and @ f/8 it is 5 Ĺ feet from a little under 3 feet to infinity. At f/22 it is 2 feet and 1 foot to infinity. A lot of lenses canít even focus down to 2 feet. At small focal lengths like 16mm it is a lot easier to get a lot of DOF with out chocking down to the max. This allows you to keep your shutter speed up and not hit the diffraction limit (some where around f/11).

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:27 PM   #24

Tom - a very effective use of a big DOF, I really like the shot. I'm glad that there's a couple of big DOF pictures as well as some small ones. Wide angle does help with this.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:47 AM   #25

I've been searching / trying to get something that would give or a small or a big dof for this challenge.

At last I'm going for as much of dof as possible, a shot from "Ekklisia Evangelismou" at Rhodos.
sigma 10-20mm / f6.5 / 12mm / iso600 / 1/8sec (handheld/leaning against a table)
focused at 1/3 of the dept of the church to get as much of it in focus.

Ronny
Old Sep 13, 2009, 2:04 PM   #26

As I have seen other members do, I decided to change my entry. Although an interesting experience, the lady of the lake just wasn't that good of a shot. Inspired by daz, beautiful shot by the way, this is my wide offering from my backyard. Mount Shasta and clouds at f10.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:08 PM   #27

Some amazing and varied shots - thanks for a great topic!
Was out playing in the mountains yesterday, and tried this shot at a wide range of F-stops. It was interesting to see the resulting DOF's, and what they did to the feeling of the photograph. I think I like this version the best.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:42 PM   #28

We are getting an interesting selection of photos! I can see why you liked that picture, mole. The sky in that shot of Mt. Shasta is incredible - nicely done b&w conversion.

Ronny - excellent point about WHERE to focus when trying for a big DOF. I rarely think about focusing short of my subject, to make sure that I get as much as possible in focus.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:50 AM   #29

I am going to change my entry - this one really surprised and amused me as it turned out. There is no pp trickery here - it is not a superimposed cut out, not floating on water, nor an aerial photo of a flying butterfly - it is simply perched and sunning itself, but perfectly isolated from the background. It only looks like it is floating. I couldn't have planned it any better. Right out of the camera, cropped and reduced, with only a touch of sharpening. K7 with Tamron 18-250, hand held.

Name:  IMGP0031r.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  54.7 KB

Last edited by penolta; Sep 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 7:42 AM   #30

Penolta. You must have laughed out loud when you brought this shot up on your computer. One in a million.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote