Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
Although I did not post a picture this month, is it still permissable for me to vote?

Regards
Certainly. Go for the vote.

I vote for jelpee. Very unique image

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:22 PM   #52

I made many attempts at trying to come up with an entry for this month's challenge but none were to my liking. In looking at all of the excellent entries that were submitted I certainly have many creative examples to follow. My vote is for Penolta's butterfly. It certainly captures the theme of depth of field and the particular appeal for me is that the butterfly looks as if it is almost against a pane of glass (a very clean pane of glass) looking through towards the flowers.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 7:48 PM   #53

If I were choosing purely the best photo, I think it would be between ennacac's Cedar Breaks, Penolta's butterfly, and jelpee's stadium seats.

However the challenge was to choose the best depth of field for your subject.

So my vote goes to Trojansoc's chess board. I just like the way he set the focus point off center on the wooden rook. The white knight (out of focus) has his opponents wooden rook lined up in focus to be taken on the next move. If you look at the position of these two pieces on the board, that would be the correct move. I just like the creative use of DOF in this composition. Like an "Ah Ha, gotcha!" moment.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 9:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
If I were choosing purely the best photo, I think it would be between ennacac's Cedar Breaks, Penolta's butterfly, and jelpee's stadium seats.

However the challenge was to choose the best depth of field for your subject.

So my vote goes to Trojansoc's chess board. I just like the way he set the focus point off center on the wooden rook. The white knight (out of focus) has his opponents wooden rook lined up in focus to be taken on the next move. If you look at the position of these two pieces on the board, that would be the correct move. I just like the creative use of DOF in this composition. Like an "Ah Ha, gotcha!" moment.

Jim
Thanks for the kind words, Jim. You caught the board positions I was trying to set up, although the chess purist has to note that it's a queen trap. (without seeing all the pieces, difficult to tell their ranks...note the bishop also threatens the brown queen, while the knight can take the queen if she goes for the bishop) The pieces are polished stone, which gave me trouble with lighting.

Like you, my favorite shot, the one by pboerger is not going to be the one which gets my vote. It's a fantastic photo, but there is not a differential in DOF because there's no foreground contrast. I love jelpee's example of a long DOF and penolta's floating butterfly, but my vote has to go to daz. The combination of both foreground and background elements is a wonderful example of long DOF.

Again, the entries keep getting stronger and stronger. Good job, all.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:39 PM   #55

As always many great shots. The one that hits me this month is Pauls(trojansoc) Chess Board.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:12 PM   #56

jelpee's stadium seats gets my vote, I really like the color and the pattern.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:12 AM   #57

There are a lot of awesome pictures this month, and it is going to be hard to make a decision. I'm going to hold off voting for right now - these last minute entries are really good (really like yours, Al). I never quite got a picture for the topic this month - it seems like I either have too little or too much dof, never just the right amount. I did get some really good ideas from the examples posted here. And now, back to looking at the several hundred we took today (some of which were at the western-most point of the contiguous United States, which is NOT in California!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:18 AM   #58

so you would be near...Cape Alava, Washington
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:40 AM   #59

At high tide it is as far west as the point I was standing on, which isn't far away. And it's easier to get to.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:17 AM   #60

Hi all,
I like Daz's pic, it is spectacular, but to show DOF I like Ira's bonnet lock pin. Yet another fantastic range and quality of images this month, well done to all.
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote