Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:23 PM   #71

Hmmm - another tie, if I counted right. I think that it speaks volumes that so many entries got votes, and that it was really close.

The tie is between Daz and Jelpee, both using a large dof to effectively compliment their subjects. Both photos are very compelling and worth winning (as are several others, by the way). But I'm going to cast the tie-breaking vote, mainly because I was going to vote for it anyway. I've got to go with Daz - I recently spent a morning walking on a beach with driftwood and kept thinking about Daz's picture the whole time (and none of mine came close to matching his in quality).

Congrats, Daz!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:47 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Hmmm - another tie, if I counted right. I think that it speaks volumes that so many entries got votes, and that it was really close.

The tie is between Daz and Jelpee, both using a large dof to effectively compliment their subjects.

Congrats, Daz!
When you posted the time extension yesterday there was an unprecedented four-way tie (Daz, Jalpee, Paul and Penolta), so it is well that extra time was provided (although as it turns out with your vote it would have come out the same way. And his is a memorable picture, to be sure - it was my pick, too).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:40 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
After seeing this months entries from Daz, Penolta's 2nd entry and a few others, it was so hard to pick just one. Very impressive.

Congratulations Daz!
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:26 AM   #74
daz

Thanks mtngal and everyone for the kind words. I to am impressed with the stiff competition this month and I am all the more honored to be picked.

I am presently deployed to American Samoa. I am little busy and playing hooky from work to write this. We will be shutting the satellite link down for the night soon so I have to get this out quick. I will think of something for the next month and play a little more hooky to post it in the morning after we bring the satellite link up/morning stuff out of the way.

Thanks again.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:08 AM   #75

Congratulations Daz.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:24 PM   #76

Daz - take care of yourself! Must be tough being on the ground where so much help is needed right now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:24 PM   #77
daz

Thanks, we try to keep it safe. I mostly work in functions that support others so I donít see most of the public side. Fortunately American Samoa was not hit as bad (and America has a lot of recourses to send) as the other islands. We are doing OK and in 1-2 weeks we maybe able to rotate some people out (me).

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:45 AM   #78

DAZ - thanks for all you are doing for the people there! Keep safe!

Oh, and congratulations on winning the contest too. Very well-deserved!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote