Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1

Default September Monthly Challenge

For the past several months our challenge topics have been subject related. I think it's time for another technical topic. So the topic is going to be effective depth of field. Now, before those that have them grab their fast lenses and those that don't have them complain they can't compete, notice the word "effective". What I'm thinking of is using the appropriate depth of field for your subject. So if you are taking certain landscape pictures you'll want a huge depth of field. Other times you'll want a small one to separate a subject from it's background, like cameanee did with her Olvera Street pictures.

So the challenge is to choose the best depth of field for your subject. Normal rules apply - pictures have to be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR no more than 90 days ago. Please have the longest side sized to 800 pixels, that keeps things easier to judge. There are no restrictions on processing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:36 AM   #2

Well, anyone who has followed any of my posts is probably aware of my affection for the 50mm f1.4 so mine will be at the "limited DOF" end of the scale. Strangely my entry was not shot with that lens but with the FA 28-70mm f4. This is the actual colour (this was only resized using Picasa 3 ) and, of course, you have to guess the car.

If I shoot something I like better I will replace this one.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:41 AM   #3

Interesting topic, Harriet. I like it. Looking forward to seeing what our little group comes up with for it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:24 AM   #4

Ira I think that demonstrates the use of DOF perfectly. Nice shot.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:04 AM   #5

here's my attempt for this month. Not sure about it really, the picture that is not the music, the music I like but can't play - when I try it just blurs in to a jumble so I guess the picture sums up how I see the music. Probably needs brightening but can't really tell on my laptop. Its early in the month so I guess I can always change it
Attached Images

Last edited by thedoctor; Sep 6, 2009 at 1:21 PM. Reason: following mtngal advice below, brightened up the image trying to make the paper a bit whiter, could probably do it a bit more
thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:59 PM   #6

Ira - an interesting shot. Is this another of your TransAm pictures? In any case, the picture really shows up the fact the car is a performance sports car.

thedoctor - I agree that you could probably brighten the picture with post processing to get the paper look more white (camera metering systems always tries to make the overall picture grey, not white). Otherwise, it's an excellent picture. In many ways, I would imagine that some musicians actually see their music this way (I think I would if I could read music). They only see a bit of the page, concentrating on exactly where they are when they are playing.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:49 PM   #7

***NO LONGER AN ENTRY***
I came up with one I like better (farther down the page)

Something rather odd about this picture -- maybe the lighting or the mooning position of the Fritillary, and I may have over processes it to save it (it was one of a series of test shots, not intended for use otherwise). It is not much of a butterfly shot, and I can't decide whether I like it or not, so I may change it later if I come up with something better. I probably would have discarded it except for this theme -- moving counterclockwise around the butterfly it shows a rather interesting circular progression of blur in the blue flowers. K20/Sigma 135-400mm @ 400mm.

Name:  IMGP0634r2b.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  59.9 KB

Last edited by penolta; Sep 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:23 PM   #8
daz

I don’t know about were every one else is living but the weather here on Sunday was anything but sunny. Rainy with occasional breaks that you sometimes could see blue sky and even more rarely the sun. Down by the water it was the same but add a lot of wind. So I decided to go take some photos. It was so windy that some of my photos were blurry from me having a hard time standing still. Not a good day for color but that can be a good day for B&W.

After walking about a mile there and back (I swear is was up hill both ways, at least I know I walk up hill in both directions) this is what I came back with. I have 2 versions of this photo. The other has an extremely angry sky and with how stark the photo already looks I thought that maybe over the top so this is the calmer of the 2. So far everyone was going small DOF so I thought I would try wide.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:38 PM   #9

hmmmm,
these are great.. wonder how my 300/2.8 will do..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:35 PM   #10

Daz - that is definitely a beautiful shot, the b&w is really effective. Deep DOF is certainly effective!

penolta - I can see why you are on the fence about this one. It looks like the lighting was very harsh or mostly backlit with lots of dynamic range, very difficult. The progressively OOF flowers are really neat and do fit the theme.