Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
MadMikeSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kenmore, NY
Posts: 743
Default Cleveland Metroparks Zoo - Labor Day

Made a day of it and drove the family down to Cleveland Ohio to see the zoo. It's just over 3 hours from Buffalo. The zoo turned out to be a little bigger than we figured it would be and ended up spending about 5 hours there. The kids had a great time so that's all that mattered. Of course I took the opportunity to snap photos.

Exif should be included with all photos.

First three here were taken with my Tamron 70-300mm lens.

Flamingos:


Cockatoo:


Cheetah, too bad the fence was in the way:


These 2 were taken with my Sigma 24-135mm lens.

Bald Eagle:


African Crested Cranes:

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Sep 7, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
MadMikeSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kenmore, NY
Posts: 743
Default

I have to post this also, right after we arrived at the zoo we went straight to one of the animal shows. My oldest was chosen to participate in the show with some other kids from the crowd. They had to all help hold a large Burmese Python. She loved it.

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Excellent shots, all of them. Can't decide on a favorite though - maybe the bald eagle, that's quite a shot. But you have to love your daughter holding the python - that's one BIG snake!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Rodney9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yeronga, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 3,518
Default

Wow, fantastic detailed shots of some wonderful animals, my favourite are the Flamingos and the African Crested Cranes.

Rodney
__________________

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

All very nice. You were able to catch the walking cranes at just the right time to make a fine composition. The Cockatoo and Eagle in particular could have benefited by fill flash, though, which would have put a catch light in their eyes so they wouldn't look so much like black holes.

I have both lenses and like them both, although I don't get to use the Sigma as much as I should - the Tamron, however, has been a workhorse.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:55 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,327
Default

Looks like day well spent! I like the one of Cheetah, in spite of the fence...I don't find the fence as distracting due to the sharp capture of the Cheetah. Love the one of your daughter and the Python as well!

My Labor Day was kinda shot....I had intended to hang out at the airport to do some airplane shots. As it turns out BO was coming to town and the airport police had shut down the viewing area and the entire perimeter of the airport was strictly out of bounds! It would have been nice to have taken pictures of Air Force One though!
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
MadMikeSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kenmore, NY
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Excellent shots, all of them. Can't decide on a favorite though - maybe the bald eagle, that's quite a shot. But you have to love your daughter holding the python - that's one BIG snake!
The Bald Eagle was a little difficult for me, it was actually in a semi indoor/outdoor building and it was a little dark. But I was still happy with how it turned out. All my kids are real troopers and my oldest might not have gone up to hold that snake if she had known about it beforehand, but they surprised the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Wow, fantastic detailed shots of some wonderful animals, my favourite are the Flamingos and the African Crested Cranes.

Rodney
Yes, I really liked the Flamingos too. I actually was hoping for a better shot of the cranes, but it still came out alright after a little PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
All very nice. You were able to catch the walking cranes at just the right time to make a fine composition. The Cockatoo and Eagle in particular could have benefited by fill flash, though, which would have put a catch light in their eyes so they wouldn't look so much like black holes.

I have both lenses and like them both, although I don't get to use the Sigma as much as I should - the Tamron, however, has been a workhorse.
I'm the opposite of you, I generally use my Sigma lens for everything, just because I don't have a selection of AF lenses and it's the one with the best range that I own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Looks like day well spent! I like the one of Cheetah, in spite of the fence...I don't find the fence as distracting due to the sharp capture of the Cheetah. Love the one of your daughter and the Python as well!

My Labor Day was kinda shot....I had intended to hang out at the airport to do some airplane shots. As it turns out BO was coming to town and the airport police had shut down the viewing area and the entire perimeter of the airport was strictly out of bounds! It would have been nice to have taken pictures of Air Force One though!
I agree, the cheetah still turned out well despite the fence. I wasn't going to pass the opportunity when he was so close to the fence. You could have been in Cleveland to watch the airshow down by the lake, and then get washed out by a storm just before the end of the show.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

The Cheetah is great and you can remove the chain link in PP if you so desire.
The African Crested Cranes are superb!
Your daughter looks a wee bit unsure about the python.
The state is starting to crack down on pythons lately, there is a bounty on them. when they get to big to handle, many people have just turned there pet pythons loose. With out any natural predators, they have flourished and become quite a problem. A few weeks ago, a pet python got loose and ended up strangling a 2 year old child to death.
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
MadMikeSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kenmore, NY
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
The Cheetah is great and you can remove the chain link in PP if you so desire.
The African Crested Cranes are superb!
Your daughter looks a wee bit unsure about the python. The state is starting to crack down on pythons lately, there is a bounty on them. when they get to big to handle, many people have just turned there pet pythons loose. With out any natural predators, they have flourished and become quite a problem. A few weeks ago, a pet python got loose and ended up strangling a 2 year old child to death.
I'm not that good with PS to remove the chainlink fence yet.

I've heard about the snake problem in FL from a lot of nature/wildlife tv programs. Particularly the Burmese Python is thriving.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Keltech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Andover, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,178
Default

Those are all outstanding pictures Mike. I like them all and I am unable to find one that I like better than another.

Your daughter is one brave and cute little girl.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:55 AM.