Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:16 PM   #21

Hercules - the term "ghost town" is used for the remains of a town that no one lives in any more. There weren't any particular strange happenings in the town, just what you would expect for a gold rush town. They had one hanging/lynching (a love triangle). Lots of shootings, though many ended up without much damage to anyone. There's one story that two drunk guys got in an argument in a bar and both emptied their 6 shooters. 12 shots fired and only one found a human body, and then only superficially. It was actually a forward, progressive town for its day, with electricity brought in from miles away, a train line that brought cords and cords of wood (as you can see, there's no trees in the area) to the mills, mines and for heating. It mainly was short on law enforcement and its population, while prosperous, was typical mining people - hard drinking with lots of courage (dangerous work conditions). There was a jail (right next to the red-light district) but when the saloons number up to 65 and there's only 1 or 2 churches - you get the idea.

The buildings are not really maintained, and many are dangerous. There's not a huge number of rangers to patrol the buildings so they keep most of them locked. That does help keep everything there - they don't have to worry as much about vandalism and theft.

Kjell - thanks!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:10 PM   #22

Great shots, Harriet. Even though I was born and raised in California you've shown me so much of it I never saw. I really like the tin ceiling in the store, the second shot of the area and the bar that looks straight out of some western.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:23 PM   #23

There were people still living in Bodie until the 1940's, though not many. A fire in 1932 burned quite a bit of the town. The heyday of the town was in the 1870-1880s. It had a brief resurgence in the 1890's when they used cyanide processing and electricity. So some of the city (the gas station and the power company building) are not over 100 years old. It often amazes me that "old" in most countries means 500 or more years old, while in California it's more likely 100 years old.

I did a sepia version of the gas station and the restored truck doesn't look so out of place in it.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:21 PM   #24

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The truck definitely looks like it now belongs in the scene!!

I hope you don't mind the following edit to your picture...I applied some perspective adjustments to strighten the gas pumps. I als reduced the contrast a touch to soften it some and bring out some details (e.g. the radiator grill of the trunk). I think the sepia tone looks nicer with a soft vs. hard contrast to it.

I'll take the rotten eggs and tomatoes if you don't like it
Attached Images

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:42 PM   #25

There is more distortion in the edited version - the car and house appear stretched. Maybe the pumps were actually leaning, since the house is straight up in the original.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 4:09 PM   #26

Yes, Harriet, the sepia version looks much more natural.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote