Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
being a newby...what does the shoulder mount do? help stabilize the camera is what I'm thinking..is there more??

Hey Little John,
Welcome to the forum! Yes, its supposed to help
(people like me that shake so bad that they can't hold a camera still) stabilize there shots while using long lenses, even though I used my wide angle lens for the example shots. I guess because I was to lazy to switch lenses.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:01 AM   #12

Keith, mole, Ronny,Rodney,
Thanks guys for all the king remarks.

Lou, I don't mind at all. after all, like you said its all your fault I built this in the first place.
I think it be nice if we had a place for everybody to post there DIY projects (hint hint Jim) I liked the idea of using Velcro but I had an extra remote I got off eBay for $5.00 so I decided to make it permanent.

Roy, I like your example too. gives me some new ideas for the next one I build.

Last edited by Goldwinger; Sep 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:44 PM   #13

I am right handed and left eyed, so a shoulder stock is too awkward for me to use. With a relatively light compact long lens like the Tokina 80-400, I find that a pistol grip in my left hand lets me rest my left upper arm and elbow against my chest while gripping the camera with my right, providing good steadiness without adding much weight.

Name:  IMGP1176r.jpg
Views: 3712
Size:  51.1 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:27 PM   #14

That looks real practical, Pen.
I especially like the trigger. Where in the world did you find it?

Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
That looks real practical, Pen.
I especially like the trigger. Where in the world did you find it?
In a box of old grips, pods and brackets in my darkroom - I have had it (and several others) for years - I have no idea where I got it - probably in a box of closeouts at a camera store. It doesn't have the original release cable, but could be modified for an electronic release, as I have done with others.

The brand or this one is HAMA - they market an extensive line of inexpensive photo accessories, but I can't find that they still carry this one.

Last edited by penolta; Sep 10, 2009 at 9:06 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:02 AM   #16

Well, shucks, I was afraid of that Pen.
I guess I'll just have to make my own.
Thanks for posting the Pic, I keep getting more and more ideas.

Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:14 PM   #17

http://www.hama.co.uk/
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:44 PM   #18

GW, here are some other grips. The two on the left are Stitz grips, the best I have seen, and the other is Soligor. The first Stitz is unmodified - it has dual cable release sockets, top rear and bottom front. The second is one I modified by replacing the trigger with a pressure switch (from Radio Shack) wired to miniplugs in both sockets. The cable is covered with heatshrink tubing. The Soligor had enough room to place a switch internally that is actuated by the trigger - I did not use heatshrink tubing on these wires. Somewhere I have another, an older modified metal grip, but these will give you an idea of what can be done. The grips can mounted under the end of a simple shoulder pod. There are also similar (grips with flash shoes) attached to flat camera brackets that could be similarly modified, and the Stitz has a threaded socket on the bottom (for a wrist strap) that can be used to attached it to a flat flash bracket. Lots of possibilities, as switch actuated miniplug can be used with Pentaxes for remote shutter releases. You need some new DIY projects to relieve your boredom and keep you out of trouble.

Name:  IMGP1180r.jpg
Views: 2946
Size:  52.6 KB

Last edited by penolta; Sep 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
I looked there Roy, and didn't find anything. perhaps they quit making them.

Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
GW, here are some other grips. The two on the left are Stitz grips, the best I have seen, and the other is Soligor. The first Stitz is unmodified - it has dual cable release sockets, top rear and bottom front. The second is one I modified by replacing the trigger with a pressure switch (from Radio Shack) wired to miniplugs in both sockets. The cable is covered with heatshrink tubing. The Soligor had enough room to place a switch internally that is actuated by the trigger - I did not use heatshrink tubing on these wires. Somewhere I have another, an older modified metal grip, but these will give you an idea of what can be done. The grips can mounted under the end of a simple shoulder pod. There are also similar (grips with flash shoes) attached to flat camera brackets that could be similarly modified, and the Stitz has a threaded socket on the bottom (for a wrist strap) that can be used to attached it to a flat flash bracket. Lots of possibilities, as switch actuated miniplug can be used with Pentaxes for remote shutter releases. You need some new DIY projects to relieve your boredom and keep you out of trouble.

Attachment 141793

I like the look of the Stitz, looks like the grip would be comfy.I'm going to check out the local camera shop for one, he's been there for many years and may still have something laying around. That's where I got the two Tamron P/KA adaptall mounts for $50. they were brand new but had been in stock for probably 10 years or more! He has a lot of used stuff too, so who knows?