Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1

Default November185 Romeo Whisky

Last Sunday was the annual Bass fishing tournament on Moose Pond.

My wife and I went out on the pond and drifted while I experimented with the new K-7. My intention was to track the bass boats as they are small shallow hulled boats with oversized outboard motors that go very fast.

I was changing modes frequently as the whole purpose was to experiment with different settings in the new camera. Somewhere along the way I accidently hit the white balance button and moved it to manual mode but thought I was in auto mode.

While taking pictures I heard a loud roar and turned to see a Cessna sea plane on a takeoff roll. I stood up quickly in the boat and took the following pictures. In all I shot 55 frames and only two were out of focus.

The following 6 shots show the takeoff sequence from start to when it was airborne and departing. I had to try and find a grey object in each frame to adjust white balance on so there is a variety of color from shot to shot.

ISO was 640 and the camera was in AP mode. Shutter speeds were all over the place (should have been in TV mode). In spite of this the pictures came out sharp. The only pp was color correction. In two shots I did crop and use noise reduction software. Pictures were JPG with no levels adjustment and no sharpening.

The sequence shows the high speed shooting capability of the camera. I was highly impressed with the speed of the shutter and the auto focus as well as never losing sight of a high speed object. In one of the close shots you can see the exhaust heat from the plane's engine and the pilot looking at the idiot in the boat with the long lens pointed at him. (lens was Tokina 80-400mm without TC)

Hope I get this camera figured out soon!

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:33 AM   #2

Nice series! If you do this well while fumbling around with a brand new camera, you won't have any trouble with the camera as you get to know it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:52 AM   #3

I bet that pilot was wondering if you forgot to duck, if he wasn't worried about getting shot (that lens isn't really that long)! When you began this narrative I thought you were going to say you overturned the boat and fell in when you stood up! I don't foresee you will have any problems with the camera, either. Quick thinking (although somewhat foolhardy) and good shooting.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:07 AM   #4

Great to see examples of how the K7 locks on moving objects compared to my K10D, which is quite a project keeping moving things in focus.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The only pp was color correction.
Hope I get this camera figured out soon!

[/QUOTE]
I always get excited about photographing aircaft and wish I was in the boat with you!! The K7's focusing sounds impressive is only 2 of 55 were out of focus!

What happened that you needed color correction in PP? Judging from the color of the water and the sky, each of these images have a different color tone (at least on my monitor)?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:32 PM   #6

Very impressive, Lou. You're sure making me want that K7. Although, now I also want a 500mm and TC. (Went to Salisbury this morning.) This is one expensive hobby!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:34 PM   #7

Patty - you've got that right! I just got back from Samys LA store and got looking at some expensive spotting scopes. They sure looked wonderful - would have been tempting except for the three digit cost.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:16 PM   #8

Harriet,

Glad you enjoyed the series. Coming from the K100D was a big leap having not stopped at the K10 or K20 on the way. I am getting the hang of it now and each time I use it I feel more comfortable.

I saw your response to Patty, and chuckled as I took delivery of a Pentax PF-80EDa Spotting Scope and a 20x60 zoom eyepiece that I ordered the same day I ordered the K-7. Adorama had a terrific price and free shipping and I said if not now when?

They were showing out of stock but it only took about a week and a half to get it.

It is an awesome scope for the money. I have looked through Swarovski ATS 80's and cannot see a difference.

It really brings the birdies in close.

Lou
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:33 PM   #9

Penaulta,

Thanks for your concern for my safety.

I was at no time in danger. I was in a boat not a canoe. I was at full extension with the 80-400mm so the plane although it appeared close was a safe distance otherwise the pilot would be the crazy one for starting his takeoff run without a clear path to the take off point.

I did ride a strong rolling double wake after his departure.

That sure is a classy way to get to your summer home. Takes me 2 1/2 hours driving to get up there from the Boston area.

Lou
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
Great to see examples of how the K7 locks on moving objects compared to my K10D, which is quite a project keeping moving things in focus.

Tom
Tom, I am blown away by the speed this camera has. It has two continuous shooting speeds high and low. I think I was shooting in the high mode.

Lou