Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Today's adventure

Went to a totally different spot today, Salisbury Beach. It's actually across the riverway from another spot we go to frequently, north tip of Plum Island. Never knew what you could see from the other side.

It was a rainy, drizzly day. So, some of these have had rain spots cloned off the lens. And, it was windy and I couldn't always hold the monopod steady. Actually, that reminds me, what do others do with SR when shooting with a monopod? I've seen pros and cons to leaving it on. Not thinking about it, all these were with it on.

Due to the weather, all were taken with the K20 and the Tamron 70-300 lens. I wasn't about to try switching in this fairly constant drizzle and bouts of heavy rain. We had gone to check out the seals we never knew were there. My 300mm just doesn't reach them.
Attached Images

Last edited by nhmom; Sep 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2

This next one is what the little birds (plovers and ??) were snatching.

And, yet again, I cannot figure out how to make my pictures appear here as they do in PSE7. I've tried numerous ways of resizing.

Patty
Attached Images

Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:26 PM   #3

Nice pictures patty. The seals look like they are having a snooze on the sand at low tide oblivious to the rest of the world.

The Gull and Piping Plover pictures are great.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
This next one is what the little birds (plovers and ??) were snatching.

Patty
Not sure which birds you are referring to. The first one is one of the sandpipers, which are difficult enough when they are not in molt, which this one appears to be - possibly a Sanderling, but I can't be sure without seeing its behavior. The second, of course, is a Ring-billed Gull, and the third is a Semipalmated Plover.

Looks like you had a good day.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:27 AM   #5

Every day at the beach is a adventure, not matter what the weather, thank you for sharing yours. Very nice shots too.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:06 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice series Patty...I especuially like the close up fo the seagull! You also seemed to have captured well the mood of the weather.

Re. SR and the mono-pod, I remind myself to turn of SR when using a monopod or tripod...reportedly it introduces more shake in an attempt to compensate for no-shake. I know that in the K20D (and perhps in the K10D as well), when the self timer mode is engaged, the SR turns itself off even if the swith is in the "on" position because the assumption is that the camera is in a steady position. Candidly speaking, I have not noticed a difference either way. Perhaps this issue is more prevelant in SR mechanism that are built into the lenses (Canon, Nikon, etc) rather than the bodies (Pentax and Sony).
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 4:22 PM   #7

Thanks, Lou, penolta, Rodney and jelpee.

Yep, the seals were oblivious to everything. There was one that kept diving and "popping" back out of the water, but I could never tell where he was coming up at to capture him. I'm anxious to see your shots if you went there today.

So, the first one is a sandpiper. It's behavior was quite eratic. It kept zig-zagging all over the beach looking for the snails. Just about the time I'd think he was steady for a second to snap a shot, he'd move on.

I love the beach. Not sure whether it's because I'm a Cancer or what. I could live at the beach. But, not for sunbathing. I like going at sunrise or sunset.

I'll have to test out the SR with the monopod and see. I'm thinking, when I took the photos of the mills in Lawrence, the best shot I got of the clocktower was with the monopod and no SR from two blocks away. I was quite impressed. So, maybe I would have been better with it off. I have a velcro tag on my tripod to remind me to turn it off when I use it. Maybe I need to do the same thing for my tripod.

Thanks all. Patty
Old Sep 13, 2009, 4:57 PM   #8

Love the series, sorry for the bad weather but it looks a lot like how it looks here. So I would feel right at home.

For the distance the seals are still great (imho).

Ronny
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:12 PM   #9

Patty - great series that really captures the mood of a wet day at the beach. Nice shots of all the varied "critters" too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:47 PM   #10

Thanks, Ronny and mole. The seals were quite far out. With the naked eye they just looked like rocks. I didn't find them until I pulled out the lens and zoomed out. We almost went by this spot thinking there were none there.

Patty