Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:29 AM   #11

Excellent panning shots of some fine vintage British sports cars. You nailed these!

As a kid in high school my biology teacher had a 1947 MG. I helped him rebuild the engine. When we got the car running he let me drive it and try a couple of 4 wheel drifts. The car was more fun to drive than anything I had ever driven before.

# 283 in your series brought the memory flooding back vividly to me. The Morgan behind it was another favorite of mine.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:40 AM   #12

"The British are coming!!!"

Great shots of a great event, very sharp. The shot of the two early MGs was a real catch (a TC and a TF ???). BTW what was the last car?
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post

Great shots of a great event, very sharp. The shot of the two early MGs was a real catch (a TC and a TF ???). BTW what was the last car?
I stand corrected on the second car being a Morgan.

Lou
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
I stand corrected on the second car being a Morgan.

Lou
Could that last car be a Morgan? (the engine looks much like the MGs with a similar carb arrangement )
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Could that last car be a Morgan? (the engine looks much like the MGs with a similar carb arrangement )
Ira these cars have been modified for racing and even the MG's look a little different. It was the belted hood and small round windows and straight back that got me thinking it was a Morgan.

It's a tough call because the MG and the +4 of the same vintage looked alike but the Morgan had a longer hood and a double spare tire. I'll defer to your judgment on this one Ira.

Lou
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:47 PM   #16

The last picture is indeed a Morgan. Check out the other shots I took from my gallery, link is under the last picture. There was a 100 years of Morgan tribute race that I took those photos from.

However, other than some obvious ones, I am not really up on these vintage cars, particularly the british cars. So I can tell you guys already know more than I do about the makes/models. They are all beautiful cars and wonderful examples of vintage racing cars.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Great shots-last time I was at the "Glen" for a race was 1970. Drove my 1967 MGB from PA-once you got in the infield you couldn't leave until the races for the day were over. Nothing like a cold Genesee & hot dog for breafast!
Happy to bring back those memories. It was a fun day and not very crowded at all. Now they have tunnels under the track so you can drive in and out while the races are going.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Nice panning shots...#4 is a real standout! What was your ratios of keepers?
I'm going to have to say 20-25% keepers. I put up 58 of the 347 I took on my website, but there were actually a bunch more that also turned out well that I didn't post up.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Excellent panning shots of some fine vintage British sports cars. You nailed these!

As a kid in high school my biology teacher had a 1947 MG. I helped him rebuild the engine. When we got the car running he let me drive it and try a couple of 4 wheel drifts. The car was more fun to drive than anything I had ever driven before.

# 283 in your series brought the memory flooding back vividly to me. The Morgan behind it was another favorite of mine.

Lou
While my knowledge of these vintage cars is very limited, I would have to say that the MGs and Morgans made up the majority of the field of cars at the race track. But there was also a good number of camaros, mustangs and corvettes. The Governor's Cup race that's the Feature Race of the weekend had 60 cars ranging from porshes to mustangs,vettes and camaros to that slick yellow racer in photo #4.

This was my first chance to do some real panning photography with race cars and I'm happy and appreciative of all the advice I had been given ahead of time to make it successful for me. I'm young (35) so these kinds of vehicles really don't bring back any memories for me but they are cool to see and watch on the track and the more I see the more I learn and I plan on going again next year. My experience of watching Formula 1 at Indianapolis about 4 years ago made me realize that I wanted to get an SLR camera as my Nikon P&S just didn't cut the mustard with these cars travelling 200+ MPH down the start/finish straight. I've been waiting for F1 to return to North America so that I could use my camera for this purpose. It looks like Montreal is back on the calendar for next year so when I find out that it's confirmed I'll be planning to go to that as well.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:02 PM   #20

Quote:

Thank you for the good words.

You guys seem to know more than I do about these old cars, but I do know that the last car is a Morgan.

Here are a couple more Morgans if you didn't get a chance to check out the rest of my photos:

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Sep 14, 2009 at 1:18 PM.