Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:59 PM   #31

Mike,

Do you know what shutter speed you were shooting with for the panning shots? I always seem to stop everything and it looks like the cars are parked.

lesmore... The guys with the trikes came in from California, six days each way. Awesome cars. Not the fastest out there but no one had any more fun than they did.
73pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pantera View Post
Mike,

Do you know what shutter speed you were shooting with for the panning shots? I always seem to stop everything and it looks like the cars are parked.

lesmore... The guys with the trikes came in from California, six days each way. Awesome cars. Not the fastest out there but no one had any more fun than they did.
Kurt, it's not so much the shutter speed that determines that it's more of the way the photos were shot. I shot mine anywhere from 1/250 to 1/500 but what gives it look of motion is also panning while snapping them. The way took these was that I set my aperture and shutter speed to values that gave me a good exposure where I wanted to shoot my photos, then I used autofocus to set focus for the area where I planned to snap the shutter as I was panning along with the cars. Once my focus was set, I switched my camera to manual focus so that my focus point would stay the same. Then it's just a matter of following the car, snapping and hoping you caught the shot. It's actually fairly simple but it takes a bit of practice. Don't get me wrong though, shutter speed is important also, you don't want to go too fast of a speed or you will end up stopped action, even panning. But you can still convey the motion up to 1/500s shutter speed.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Fantastic shots, Mike... it does this former racer's heart a world of good to see others interested in these cars. I loved the shot of that two-liter Lola. Looks almost like a Can-Am car. I competed in both SCCA Showroom Stock and Formula Ford 1600 in the mid 1970s. Alas, my brief amateur career came to an end after I flipped the FF in turn one at Lime Rock. My buddy and I didn't have to funds to recover and continue.

Ira... the TF had the radiator slopped back at a more noticeable angle and the headlights were faired into the fenders. As much as I love the entire MG T series - and acknowledge the importance of the TC to the sport in North America - my personal favorite T series will forever be the TF 1500.
It's always worth more than anything else just to help someone relive moments and good memories. I'm glad you enjoyed this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
You did a great job Mike!
love these shots.
Thanks GW, hope you recover quickly from your little mishap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
More great pix of Morgan Trikes. The first one looks like it has the Matchless V-Twin engine...BTW...I have a newer Matchless (motorcycle) with a twin cylinder engine, but in this case it's a Norton 750cc vertical twin.
I have to admit I'm not car/motorcyle person, not enough to know a lot of info about things like that, apart from what I drive myself. Don't get me wrong though, I love watching some racing action and I do know a few things. Just not as knowledgeable as a lot of the folks here. I never got that kind of instruction from my own father, but that's cool. I have a mild interest in things automotive so I do find it interesting. Those trikes were neat to see puttering around the track.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:05 PM   #34

Mike,
Not much I can add to what has already been said, so let me repeat: great job on your panning shots. If you feel adventurous next year try dropping your shutter speed to 1/180 or even 1/125. Your ratio of keepers will drop but the background blur is great.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonEntity1 View Post
Mike,
Not much I can add to what has already been said, so let me repeat: great job on your panning shots. If you feel adventurous next year try dropping your shutter speed to 1/180 or even 1/125. Your ratio of keepers will drop but the background blur is great.

Tim
I'm not going to disagree with you there. The shot of the yellow #5 car was at 1/160 and I think it was probably the best to show the motion. Something to work on for next time. Thank you for the kind words.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:26 PM   #36

great photos
it looks like you found a good place to watch from
and its good to see these old cars still being raced too
i took a look at your site and some impressive cars on there too