Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:45 PM   #1

Default Vintage Grand Prix - Watkins Glen

Took my father-in-law and son (it was his birthday today) to Watkins Glen for the Vintage Grand Prix. Been waiting for this one all summer to test my panning skills and to also try out some of the things I learned after finally getting my hands on and reading Understanding Exposure. All in all I think I had a pretty successful day and we had a great time watching these classic race cars on the track.

All the images being posted were shot in manual mode at various shutter and aperture settings with cropping being the only editing, apart from some sharpening that Lightroom applies when exporting to webpage.

EXIF data should be contained in the photos.

Also forgot to mention this, all the on-track action was captured with my Tamron 70-300mm Di LD lens, mostly all shot at around 135mm. The walkaround shots in the garage and elsewhere were with my Sigma 24-135mm.

Thanks to Kurt, I'm adding the info for each of these cars in the pictures based on the entry list from svra.com

1966 MG Midget 1296cc

1959 MGA Twin Cam 1600cc

#283 1951 MG TD 1350cc and #23 1947 MG TC 1368cc

1970 Lola T210 1970cc

1952 Morgan +4 1998cc

More pictures can be found on my site here: Vintage Grand Prix - Watkins Glen

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Sep 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:42 PM   #2

Mike

I Think you had a very Succesful day!! Panning is an Art in itself. My biggest problem has been having the car in focus and having the wheels just Slightly Showing motion.
I like you, seem to have Learned that Little trick. But it took me several years of trying.
I also checked out your Page with the rest of the Pictures. They are also excellent.
I am guessing that its is your son in a couple of those pictures. Did you get lucky enough to have one of the drivers, let him Sit In the race car. That is Such a big thrill For them.
I Usually Haunt Lime Rock Park and when my Son was about 5-6(Now 17)we were in the pits and one of the drivers saw us looking at his car and offered to Let him sit in it. He was smilies from ear To ear.

Great Job

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Mike

I Think you had a very Succesful day!! Panning is an Art in itself. My biggest problem has been having the car in focus and having the wheels just Slightly Showing motion.
I like you, seem to have Learned that Little trick. But it took me several years of trying.
I also checked out your Page with the rest of the Pictures. They are also excellent.
I am guessing that its is your son in a couple of those pictures. Did you get lucky enough to have one of the drivers, let him Sit In the race car. That is Such a big thrill For them.
I Usually Haunt Lime Rock Park and when my Son was about 5-6(Now 17)we were in the pits and one of the drivers saw us looking at his car and offered to Let him sit in it. He was smilies from ear To ear.

Great Job

Phil
Yes, that's my son, that car was sitting behind one of the trailers that had some mustangs and a couple other Ford racers. We were just looking at it and one of the guys came out and said to go ahead and let him sit in it. He loved it. It was his birthday today so the race cars were an extra special treat for him.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:34 PM   #4

Awesome shots! Your day was indeed successful - really like the third one, but all of them are really good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:14 PM   #5

Great shots Mike, of all those, mostly British sports cars. Takes me back. Always have wanted to go to Watkins Glen...maybe one day.

BTW is the 'SS' part of your web name...anything to with being a fan of Chevy Super Sports ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:06 AM   #6

Cool shots, well taken.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:44 AM   #7

Very cool shots. I remember when we went to the Monterey (CA) races one year and my son and nephew got to pose with the cars. They were also, ear-to-ear smiles. They had a blast.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Awesome shots! Your day was indeed successful - really like the third one, but all of them are really good.
Thank you, I was quite happy with the results from my first real attempt at a real race track to do some panning. My father-in-law and my son both had a great time as well so it was well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Great shots Mike, of all those, mostly British sports cars. Takes me back. Always have wanted to go to Watkins Glen...maybe one day.

BTW is the 'SS' part of your web name...anything to with being a fan of Chevy Super Sports ?
It actually refers to the fact I drive a 2000 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car Replica. But close enough. There were lots of MGs and there was a special 100 year celebration race for Morgan cars as well. It was really neat to see the vintage cars and I think I'll probably go again next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Cool shots, well taken.

Rodney
Thank you for the kind words, for a first time really doing panning for fast moving cars I was happy with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Very cool shots. I remember when we went to the Monterey (CA) races one year and my son and nephew got to pose with the cars. They were also, ear-to-ear smiles. They had a blast.

Patty
My son loved sitting in what appeared to be an indy car replica. I didn't actually inquire about the car. He was just thrilled to be in the car. I am always surprised by any of my kids and I wasn't even 100% sure he'd even really have a good time at the track yesterday. But he had a great time all day and that's all that mattered, even if all my pictures were garbage it would still have been a good day.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:46 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice panning shots...#4 is a real standout! What was your ratios of keepers?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Thank you, I was quite happy with the results from my first real attempt at a real race track to do some panning. My father-in-law and my son both had a great time as well so it was well worth it.

It actually refers to the fact I drive a 2000 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car Replica. But close enough. There were lots of MGs and there was a special 100 year celebration race for Morgan cars as well. It was really neat to see the vintage cars and I think I'll probably go again next year.

Thank you for the kind words, for a first time really doing panning for fast moving cars I was happy with the results.

My son loved sitting in what appeared to be an indy car replica. I didn't actually inquire about the car. He was just thrilled to be in the car. I am always surprised by any of my kids and I wasn't even 100% sure he'd even really have a good time at the track yesterday. But he had a great time all day and that's all that mattered, even if all my pictures were garbage it would still have been a good day.
Great shots-last time I was at the "Glen" for a race was 1970. Drove my 1967 MGB from PA-once you got in the infield you couldn't leave until the races for the day were over. Nothing like a cold Genesee & hot dog for breafast!
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote