Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:14 PM   #1

Default New Camera Bag

I've solved my problem of not having a camera bag big enough for the DA*300 by buying a Kata 3N1-30 bag and the separate tripod carrier. It's huge compared to the Slingshot 200 that I've been using. It swallowed up the DA*300, DA*200, DA*50-135, DA 12-24, DA 10-17, Viv 105 macro, 77 Ltd, rocket air blower, 540 flash, various rings, 77mm circular polarizer, 4 SD cards, wired and wireless remote, L-bracket, reflector, my coffee filter flash diffusers, lens brush, lens cloth, and several other miscellaneous things I can't recall at the moment. There's still a little room left in the top (I'll probably add the M50 f1.4 at some point), but not much.

Some first impressions - I now own a bag that is too heavy to carry as a sling bag with all of the weight on one shoulder.

The shoulder straps aren't made for little people (what little person in their right mind wants to carry that much stuff??!) to wear the pack as a regular backpack. There's an extra piece of padding on the straps and I would have to remove it if I were to use it that way. They are fine for me to use cross-shoulder.

I love the way all of the straps, the shoulder and hip straps can be stuffed out of the way in the back of the pack - there's slots for them. That means you don't have straps hanging down if you aren't using something (one of my objections to the Lowepro Slingshot 300).

The strap buckles work well, but the straps have a tendency to slip a bit. The Lowepro's strap does the same thing - I keep the extra length folded up and under the elastic keeper then snug the roll up against the buckle so the strap won't slip. The Kata's shoulder straps don't have elastic keepers (the waist belt does) so unless I figure something else out, I'll probably remove the extra pad piece and do something similar.

I've been looking around for various options as far as bags go - it's given me some ideas about accessing things in the Kata bag that I wouldn't have thought about. One of my annoyances with the Slingshot had to do with the top compartment. It was a little difficult to access when you swing the bag to the side to get anything out. What I did with the Kata was to access it more like a flip bag - kept the hip belt fastened, unbuckled the shoulder straps and then rotated the bag around. That kept the top compartment upright, then I used one of the shoulder straps to swing the bag back in place and fasten the shoulder straps back cross-shoulder.

Because of the fact the straps were a bit long, I found wearing both shoulder straps cross-shoulder and using the hip belt, I could comfortably carry everything. I didn't do any hiking, just took a short walk in the woods and played with the camera, pulling out various things to use and putting them back in. My feeling is that this system will work very well for me - I can still easily access things without removing the pack and the extra weight, when I'm using both shoulder straps, is do-able.

I'm really impressed with the bag. The tripod carrier is much more convenient than what I had been doing with the Slingshot. I found myself using the tripod more because it was easier to access. Next week I'll try a short hike and see if I still like it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:51 AM   #2

Glad to hear you finally got it, Harriet. Hope it's expectations still hold when you take it out for a longer trip.

I have so many bags. Each one for a different purpose. Took the lowepro fastpak to the beach Saturday. Waterproof, side entry, holds all the lenses I wanted to bring. But, then I use the Urban Disguise bag for every day. Holds the K20, 18-250 and 50mm along with my personal stuff and isn't too heavy or look like a camera bag. Just a HUGE purse!

I can't imagine carrying all the stuff you are carrying and I'm much taller than you.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:06 AM   #3

Sounds like a great bag. I find as I get older (and weaker) that I don't carry as much. Usually I just take what I think I need in a little fanny pack, with a LowePro lens case attached.

If I'm going viintage car shooting, I will have my 16-45 attached to my K10D with my 50 F1.4 in the lens case and my 360 flash in the fanny pack.

Wildlife shooting....the 55-300 on the K10D, with my Takumar 50 Macro in the case and the 360 flash in the fanny pack.

But I find I regret not bringing a lens or an accessory, or a tripod every so often...I think we photogs need to borrow an idea from golfers and have a photo 'Caddy'.

When my wife and I were merely engaged, she would quite cheerfully (at least I thought so) function as a camera gear caddy, but since we've been married (26 years +) she no longer carries around my camera equipment.

Last edited by lesmore49; Sep 14, 2009 at 3:38 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:44 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Congratulations on the new bag! Kata makes a fine product.

About a year ago I got what I thought was the perfect bag to carry all my gear including a tripod. Unfortunately I sent it back and settled for a smaller Kata bag (DR 467)--while all the gear fit in to the former, it was not practical to carry it around as a back pack due to the weight! The smaller Kata bag works a lot better and is a good compromise, especially when exploring by foot, or travelling by air. I have a second bag for the auxilliary gear which I use for general storage as well as toting around when travelling by car. Hope that you are able to figure out a practical way of carrying it.

I really think the idea of hiring a "camera caddy" has merit, especially if he/she can also make recommendations on use of appropriate lenses, filters, as well as good angles for shots!!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Sounds like a great bag, a friend of mine has a Kata, very well made. I am guilty of having something of a camera bag addiction. What this means is that I have bags for every purpose, but too many.

In backpacks I have a Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 with a Lowepro water bottle and lens case attached (mostly for "serious" photo outings), a Lowepro Orion Trekker II which I use a lot (It holds my netbook, a jacket and some reading material and usually just the DL with 28-70mm f4 lens), and a small "Pentax" sling bag that holds just a camera and a couple of lenses for tossing in the car or short walks.

In shoulder bags I have a Lowepro Nova 5 which is for storage and when I shoot on the move, like at a wedding. A Nova 3 which has been semi-retired as a storage bag (too big for daily use and too small for "serious" work). A Nova 4 I have given to my son to replace the Nova2 (that was stolen along with the DS, an 18-55mm and a 100-300mm). I also have an old Optex that I use to hold my flash equipment, it isn't pretty but it is functional.

In holster bags I have a Lowepro Toploader Zoom AW with a chest harness (great for hiking with a moderately long lens like a 70-200mm) and a Toploader mini that will just hold a DL or K100/200/2000/M with the 18-55mm kit lens or something similarly small. This last one makes a great tourist bag with the kit lens.

Yes I like Lowepro, although I think Tamrac gives more bang-for-the-buck.

My wife Annette has a Crumpler 5 million dollar home.

There are four or five other "no-name" bags here and there with old equipment, like film gear, in them. Some date back to the 1970s, some are only a few years old.

Congratulate me it has been 10 months and 29 days since I bought my last camera bag.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Sep 14, 2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Addendum
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:40 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Sounds like a great bag, a friend of mine has a Kata, very well made. I am guilty of having something of a camera bag addiction. What this means is that I have bags for every purpose, but too many.

Congratulate me it has been 10 months and 29 days since I bought my last camera bag.
Never heard of this affliction before, but it definitely sounds like a mutant strain of LBA
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:56 AM   #7

Sounds like a good bag for you Harriet.
I'm just curious, does that come with 3 wheel or just two?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:30 PM   #8

Just took a loot at it, and it's rather large.
And although I always miss something when not taking everything with me I'll have to learn to do with what I have with me.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Just took a loot at it, and it's rather large.
And although I always miss something when not taking everything with me I'll have to learn to do with what I have with me.
Wow, that is a beauty, oh, oh, I can feel that urge again, must stop... Okay I'm all right now...
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:37 PM   #10

Ronny - your "rather large" is an understatement - the bag is huge.

GW - while it doesn't come standard with wheels, Kata makes an optional trolley - the upright frame fits in a sleeve on the back of the bag - instant wheels.

Ira and Patty - When the bag came, Dan asked me which camera bag I was going to get rid of now that I had the new one. He groaned when I said "none" - I'm planning on keeping all that I have. Different bags for different purposes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote