Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:34 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default MLB: Houston at Cincinnati (6 Images)

Had an opportunity to go to the Monday night game where the Cinicinnati Reds hosted the Houston Astros. It was a 7:10 PM game, but I had an opportunity to be on the field at 5:00 PM to observe batting practice. Since I wasn't sure about what gear I'd be allowed to take into the stadium, I took along the K10D and the DA 18-250mm and came home with the following:
Steadied the camera on the ledge for this one

The next 2 are nowhere near pro quality (that Jim C shoots); the 18-250 struggled with it's F/5.6 opening at max zoom. I can see why you'd need a 300 mm f/2.8 as well as be much closer to the action.

"Mr. Perfect", Tom Browning visited the suite that I was in. For those of you who are not familiar, he is the first and only pitcher in Reds history to pitch a perfect game.

Also got to meet Marty Brenaman, Hall of Fame Reds announcer.

And finally, I thought this made for a nice composition:

Last edited by Wingman; Sep 17, 2009 at 8:55 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:42 PM   #2

The last shot is fantastic and also the first is very good.
It must of been wonderful to meet the 'Greats' of that team and you took fabulous shots of them.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:03 PM   #3

Wow on the last one. But seeing the whole field with the lights against the evening sky makes the first one my favorite.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:16 PM   #4

The first one is a nice atmosphere picture, I love the colors with the sky and field.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:54 AM   #5

Some great shots - lovely sky in the first, great composition in the last, fine capture of the action, and interesting portraits as well. Thanks for sharing!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:28 AM   #6

Great photos! Impressive shooting with the 18-250.

The action shots were quite good. The shot of the field is my favorite, but a hard choice as I also liked the seat shot as well.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
The last shot is fantastic and also the first is very good.
It must of been wonderful to meet the 'Greats' of that team and you took fabulous shots of them.

Rodney
Thanks Rodney! Yes, it was a bonus to meet a couple of "living legends". Even got them to autograph a baseball for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameanee View Post
Wow on the last one. But seeing the whole field with the lights against the evening sky makes the first one my favorite.
Thanks Cameanee! The view of the empty seats caught my eye, especially the sea of red! I think the image of the entire ball park is my favorite as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The first one is a nice atmosphere picture, I love the colors with the sky and field.
Thanks mtgal. Great American Ball Park is a relatively new staduim and located in a nice spot on the banks of the Ohio River. I waited until dusk to capture this hoping the sky would show some color to supplement the night lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Some great shots - lovely sky in the first, great composition in the last, fine capture of the action, and interesting portraits as well. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks mole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Great photos! Impressive shooting with the 18-250.

The action shots were quite good. The shot of the field is my favorite, but a hard choice as I also liked the seat shot as well.

Lou
Thanks Lou! As you can tell I have become addicted to the 18-250 and using it at the ball park was really pushing its limits! I really could have used a faster lens for the action shots. I had no expectations to do any better however with this lens.

FYI, there has been no noise reduction applied to any of these images. Although ISO 800 was about as high as I went. Overall, the 18-250 still provides outstanding value (i.e price x IQ) and in a package that did not even catch the eye of stadium security!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:39 AM   #8

The last pic is my fav!
hkdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:32 AM   #9

I'm with the others - the last shot is great. And the other photos in the stands are great keepsakes if you're a reds fan.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I'm with the others - the last shot is great. And the other photos in the stands are great keepsakes if you're a reds fan.
Thanks for taking the time to comment John! Following the feedback you've provided on this forum re. shooting sports, I had no aspirations of capturing any serious action shots. What with a slow lens, a slow burst rate, distance from the action, and my inexperience with anticipating plays it just wasn't worth it. I however, tried to capture some "easy" action shots where the motion relative to the focal plane was limited (the two shown in this thread). Even so, the keeper rate was very low. My goal was to bring home some memories from the game which I did. And honestly speaking I think I would have enjoyed it less if I had spent the time viewing the game through the view finder of the camera!