Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:25 PM   #11

Hey jelpee,
something seems a little odd to me. The fact that they referred to "noise" as "grain" makes me wonder if they are more into film than digital images. I would think if they were used to digital, they would certainly know how to do the needed PP to get the image to the specs they wanted. the shot you have is very usable for publication, I have seen much worse. So don't take it too hard, they either know a lot more about airplanes than they do publishing digital photos or they were just using that as an excuse to turn down a shot they couldn't use, for whatever reason.

I played with it a little too.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Sep 19, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:53 PM   #12

I would strip the EXIF info from the image the next time you submit a photo for publication and see how that goes, since many publishers feel only Nikon and Canon are professional enough for their use.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:59 PM   #13

Hey jelpee,
something seems a little odd to me. The fact that they referred to "noise" as "grain" makes me wonder if they are more into film than digital images. I would think if they were used to digital, they would certainly know how to do the needed PP to get the image to the specs they wanted. the shot you have is very usable for publication, I have seen much worse. So don't take it too hard, they either know a lot more about airplanes than they do publishing digital photos or they were just using that as an excuse to turn down a shot they couldn't use, for whatever reason.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:22 AM   #14

Default COming soon to a webspace near you...

For all those fine photographs rejected by ...Airliners.net for whatever reason...a home....."http://www.rejectedbyairliners.net!

Stay Tuned

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:51 AM   #15

A friend of mine used to follow airliners.net as he does a lot of these types of pictures (with film, no less - he still doesn't have a digital camera). A lot of the times he couldn't figure out why they would reject apparently perfect pictures - they get millions submitted and they can't take them all, I guess. I wouldn't worry about it at all - you are in some good company!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:51 AM   #16

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
I would strip the EXIF info from the image the next time you submit a photo for publication and see how that goes, since many publishers feel only Nikon and Canon are professional enough for their use.

Tom
Tom, I've wondered at times if my images are being rejected because I'm not shooting with a C or N branded DSLR. I've probably submitted 20 images to date and each one has been rejected for different reasons, all of which I have accepted as valid (with perhaps the exception of this last one). For e.g. they reject for reasons such as aircraft is not centered in the image, too much background (they want the aircraft to fit tightly in the frame), lack of sharpness, over sharpening (they call it visible "jaggies"). I've been served with them all !

I will take your advice and send in my next image with the Exif stripped and see if my chances improve!! OF course by now, I've probably been branded as the Pentax complainer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Hey jelpee,
GW...that does seem like a strange reference...but on the other hand, 99% of the images they deal with are shot with digital DSLR's with an occasional image from film (mostly older images from the pre-digita era that have been scanned and submitted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
A friend of mine used to follow airliners.net as he does a lot of these types of pictures (with film, no less - he still doesn't have a digital camera). A lot of the times he couldn't figure out why they would reject apparently perfect pictures - they get millions submitted and they can't take them all, I guess. I wouldn't worry about it at all - you are in some good company!
Mtngal: I believe they receive 1000's of images a day to sort through and therefore have the luxury of selecting only the very bes--of the very best. Never the less, as my wife has already concluded, this has become an obsession with me...I just want to prove that I can do it, with Pentax gear no less. Thanks to you and everyone else for the consoling words...it is nice to be in this kind of company

Last edited by Wingman; Sep 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:17 PM   #17

My opinion is that the cop that made me delete all my airline photos a few years ago is ********. A friend and I were taking photos of the airplanes taking off and landing at the local airport and he came and told us it was illegal and we needed to delete the photos. He would not let us leave until he saw us delete them all and then checked the images left on our cameras to make sure we hadn't kept any.

Anyway, I think your image looks fine. It's probably more a matter of they already had their quota for the day. Although, stripping your data might prove interesting, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote