Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:25 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Opinions Please . . .

A few weeks ago I posted the following image for which many of you offered compliments. Encouraged by the reaction, I submitted it to airliners.net for consideration. It was rejected however and the reason given was that there was too much graininess.

Airliners.net has very high standards and I don't fault them if in fact there is visbile graininess. On my monitor, however, I do not see any...I would appreciate your opinions and observations. FYI, the image was shot at ISO 200 in sunlight.

Thanks
Attached Images

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:38 PM   #2

I don't see graininess. I am using my IBM thinpad T60 - not the best monitor.
There are some free noise reduction applications out there - Neat Image and Noiseware Community Edition. You might try them and see if it makes a difference.
Jim

Last edited by a200user; Sep 17, 2009 at 7:40 PM.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:35 AM   #3

If I look hard or zoom in I can see a little noise on my Dell 2408WFP, not enough to ruin the shot in my opinion and if you had not asked I am sure I would not noticed it at all.
I ran it through Topaz DeNoize ---
Attached Images

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:08 AM   #4

Yes, some grainess is visible indeed when observed closely; a little on the plane body but especially (and typically!!) in the sky. For my taste, not a big issue in this size though, but it can be more evident in original size. Anyway, as you know, getting rid of it often brings a comprimise regarding the fine details and the original colour! My humble suggestion based on experience is using the NeatImage in such cases. A Luminace setting of Noise level (luminance) +0% @ an amount of %80 would be ample even when viewed %200! You may keep the chrominance relatively lower I believe, since it doesn't seem to be the problem here.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:58 AM   #5

I can see a little grain on the sky when I zoom in but it's usual and really not a big deal. Other than that it's a pretty sharp image. I don't see how grain can be an issue here...
vertigoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:06 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your input. Now that you mention it, I guess if I peer hard at it, I do detect some minute degree of graininess in the sky (I hope I'm not imagining it)! But I think I notice the difference in Rodney's edit.

Is there a way to run just the sky through noise reduction software? i.e. in PSE you can select the sky and apply an effect just to the selection, thus preserving the sharpness of the aircraft? I use Noiseware, but in this application the NR is applied to the entire image. As for PSE, I'm not entirely satisfied at the NR capability.

VerigoPT, Bahadir and Jim: thanks for your observations as well!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:36 PM   #7

Neat image can work well and I use it a lot. But you can also go to your channels menu and using the blue channel where most of the noise is you can use the Despeckle filter in your filter menue and remove the tiny amount that is there. May have to hit despeckle a couple or three times to get it.
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:54 PM   #8

Another way as far as the sky goes, copy the background layer, then apply one of the blur filters on the background layer. Go to the top layer, select the airplane only and apply a layer mask so that the airplane from the sharp upper layer shows and the sky is blurred. This way doesn't always work well - but it's sometimes worth trying.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:59 AM   #9

I might be missing something here but you need to provide a link to the full size image you submitted. Then we can comment on grain.
cheers
bb2
(Bahadir- nice enhancement!)

Last edited by beachboy2; Sep 19, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
I might be missing something here but you need to provide a link to the full size image you submitted. Then we can comment on grain.
cheers
bb2
(Bahadir- nice enhancement!)
Beach boy,

The image I submitted was this exact resized one.