Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:00 PM   #1

Default Trivial Discovery K20D & AF360 Flash

I had my AF360 mounted on the shoe of the K20D in very dark condition and noticed the camera would not auto focus. The red AF assist beam on the AF360 was not working.

Initially couldn't find any setting that would correct it, so I assumed the AF360 assist light was broken. Tried it on my K100D body and it worked fine, so I started to worry that something was wrong with the K20D.

Then noticed that I had the K20D in Continuous AF mode. Switched it to Single AF and the red beam came on. I suppose that makes sense, but does it?

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
I had my AF360 mounted on the shoe of the K20D in very dark condition and noticed the camera would not auto focus. The red AF assist beam on the AF360 was not working.

Initially couldn't find any setting that would correct it, so I assumed the AF360 assist light was broken. Tried it on my K100D body and it worked fine, so I started to worry that something was wrong with the K20D.

Then noticed that I had the K20D in Continuous AF mode. Switched it to Single AF and the red beam came on. I suppose that makes sense, but does it?

Jim
You know Jim, I find the 360 flash, a flash that seems to be overly sensitive to settings, I find that I have to check those settings on a regular basis when using it.

If I knew what a pain this flash was to use, I would of not bought it. I'll continue to experiment, read the manual again and again.

Thank heavens for a digital camera's instant read monitor, which I always check. I sometimes feel I'm back in the days of the Polaroid back, enabling photographers the ability to review their pix.

But if it continues to function like this, I know somewhere along the road, I'll dispose of it and buy something else.

I'm not a newby to using flash, I've used them for 40 + years. I'm not a fan of the 360. I found my previous flash, a Vivitar 285 HV, much more reliable...reliable in the sense that once set...well exposed flash pictures were a given.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post

Jim
Jim

That makes sense. Same thing with my Sigma 500 ST flash

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:07 PM   #4

That's interesting, Jim.
I just tried out my AF540FGZ and it seem to work the same way.
I suppose that's normal.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:46 PM   #5
daz

This thing got me back on my old *istDS when Pentax made an upgrade to the bios. The upgrade added continues focus in sports mode. From this I started looking into this closer. Basically it is entirely the camera and it is not the flash. To turn on the spot beam the camera must tell the flash to turn on the SB. There is no other way for the flash to turn on the SB other then the user turning it on. AFAIK all Pentax cameras will not tell the flash to turn on the SB if AF-C is used. The logic appears to be that if you have to use SB to focus then AF-C will not be able to keep up so why waste battery power and fool the user into thinking they have focus when most likely they donít.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:48 AM   #6

Good point, Daz.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:06 PM   #7

Thanks all for confirming that this is they way the SB behaives. I couldn't find any refeence to this in the K20D user manual. I didn't try looking at the AF360 manual, I find it pretty useless.

I agree with lesmore49, I'm generally disappointed in the Af360. I think I would have been just as happy with an 285HV.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote