Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 20, 2009, 4:19 PM   #11
Administrator

The image you attached to a post here is around 93KB in size. The image you have on photobucket.com is more than 4 times as large (it's over 400KB in size). Higher JPEG Compression = Lower Quality = Smaller File Sizes. ;-) It also looks processed or downsized differently in one version compared to another (and different image editors are going to offer different downsizing algorithms).

We actually prefer it if file sizes are kept smaller when embedding images here, as a number of our members do not have high speed internet access. So, I'd suggest keeping jpeg quality sliders in your image editor set at around 80 to 85% when downsizing to help keep page load times faster for more members.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 4:50 PM   #12

Trying again from pbase. I do have a paid account. The only difference here is I put the /original.jpg after it.

Seems to work now.

Patty

And, this one below is the same image file, but from my computer.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 4:55 PM   #13

Jim,

On my monitor, I am seeing a softness in both jelpee's and my images that were uploaded from our computers. This is exactly what I'm trying to resolve. They'll look fine on my computer, then I upload and they are like this.

Maybe I'll just start linking from pbase instead. Unless there is another reason these are soft. This image here was resized in PSE7 using the save for web option. I usually resize to 800 on the largest size and then adjust the % to give me as close to 230kb as I can get. Although, this image here shows 522kb in WE.

Patty
Old Sep 20, 2009, 4:59 PM   #14

Here is the same image but linked as /small.jpg just for me to see the difference. This probably wasn't the best image as jelpee's was to show a difference. But, if you look at the arches, there's definitely a sharpness missing.

Patty

Okay, that was definitely my problem with the linking is I didn't know I had to put the /XXX after the link.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:02 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
The one below is the same image file, but from my computer.
But, they're not the same image file, and it's obvious they were not downsized the same way (they're not even the same dimensions as one of them is a pixel more on each side).

One is over 500KB (the one you are linking to at pbase.com), and the one you attached from your hard drive is only about 114KB in size.

The forums software isn't doing anything to render an image you are hot linking to any differently than it would an image you attach to a post here. IOW, the same image should render the same way, unless you're doing something to an image to make it different.

The reason those two images look different is because they are different. ;-)

If you use a higher JPEG Compression level (lower quality setting) with your image editor you're using to downsize an image with, then you'll get a smaller file size (and the one you attached to a post from your hard drive is a lot smaller image than the one you uploaded to pbase.com).

But, the downside of the smaller file size is lower quality. Usually, I keep my JPEG settings in Irfanview at around 85% Quality (you'll see the changeable JPEG quality slider come up when you use "File>Save As" and select JPEG as the file type). That typically keeps file size under 256KB with images that are around 800 pixels on their longest side (we have a limit as to the largest file size you can upload to attach to a post here), without negatively impacting quality too much.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:07 PM   #16

That was quick. Okay, I put the 522kb file in it's own folder and I'm going to attach it again here. I'm pretty sure the image I attached above is the same one. That's why this test.

Patty

Jim - the file I used to upload here is the 522kb sized file. I am going to Advanced > Manage Attachments> browsing to the file in my "test for JimC" folder I just created with only that 522kb image in it, then Upload. Once it says it's there it does say it's only 113kb.

Am I not doing the upload the right way or something?

Patty
Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:51 PM   #17

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Jim, You are correct about the image size from my photobucket link being larger than the attachment from my desktop. This explains the loss in resolution.
I cannot figure it out though since the image I used for the photobucket upload was the same resized image that I used for the attachment. Just to be sure, I started out with another resized image which I uploaded to photobucket. When I checked the file size on the photobucket website, the image size reads 804,016 KB vs. my original file which reads 786 KB. How can this be when the source is the same

Here is another pair for comparison:

First from photobucket:

And then as an attachment:
Attached Images

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:56 PM   #18
Administrator

I see what happened in your case. Your file size is too large for attaching to posts here.

When you use the button in your toolbar that looks like a paper clip to upload an image when making a post here, you'll see that our maximum allowed file size for most image types is 253.9KB (note the maximum allowed file size and dimensions listed on the screen that allows you to browse for images).

As long as you keep your JPEG Quality slider at a reasonable level (around 80 or 85% is usually about right to keep file sizes small enough) when downsizing an image to around 800 pixels on it's longest side. That usually keeps file sizes within limits.

We were simply warning users that their file size is too large when they attempted to exceed our set limits. But, it looks like we've turned on a setting to go ahead and allow larger sizes if we can recompress them at a lower JPEG Quality to keep them within limits. That's something that we can set on or off (the ability to upload anyway if you exceed the maximum file size limits we have set), but we recompress them at a lower jpeg quality if you do exceed the stated maximum size allowed.

So, I'd make sure your file size is less than 260,000 bytes (we have the maximum set to 253.9KB) if you want to attach an image to a post here. As long is the file size is within the maximum limits you'll see set when uploading, the image should not be recompressed.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:19 PM   #19

I thought there was a limited size, but when it would accept some images I'd forgotten to check I thought maybe you'd changed it. That explains how the size gets smaller then. You guys are doing it.

Here are two posts that I just resized from an 8.85MB file in PSE7 under save for web. Set to jpg-high at 80%, I resized the long side to 800. It created a file that is 283kb. I redid to get down to 245kb. I'll post the 283 one first, then the 245 to see what happens..... Yep, the first one was resized to 114kb.

I had usually just resized to 800 using the Windows Resizer in Powertoys. I think maybe because I used to shoot with the K100 (6.1MP) and now with the K20 (14.6MP) that I hadn't thought about the fact that my images were probably beyond the limited size. Since the web pages kept accepting the images, I didn't think it was a problem. Just was disappointed sometimes in what I was seeing once posted.

Thanks for helping solve this dilemna, Jim. It is much appreciated to get to the bottom of it now. I'm sorry I hadn't realized this on my own before. Since December my life has been running in robot mode at times. We've been dealing with my mom being diagnosed with cancer again and it's not going well.

Now I think I'll go repost all my images I've had since getting the K20. Only kidding.

Patty
Attached Images

Last edited by nhmom; Sep 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 3:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
When I checked the file size on the photobucket website, the image size reads 804,016 KB vs. my original file which reads 786 KB. How can this be when the source is the same
Both files are the same size.
I think you've just misread the units.
1 KB = 1024 bytes
Therefore 804,016 bytes = ~786 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
I had usually just resized to 800 using the Windows Resizer in Powertoys.
I'd suggest you avoid using this tool.
It's ok for resizing the odd file, but I wouldn't recommend using it to resize any photos as it usually does a terrible job.
In my experience, compared with Photoshop, it produces inferior images with greater filesizes.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote