Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:23 PM   #1

Default just a test

Just wanted to see what the difference in adding attachments here or linking from another site gave.

Not even sure I know how to do this.

Patty

Okay, so I don't know how to do this and can't figure out how to delete this message.

Last edited by nhmom; Sep 19, 2009 at 9:41 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:50 PM   #2

So which were you not figuring out - how to link to another site? That can be simple or impossible, depending on the site.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I've been alternating between using my photobucket account vs. a direct upload from my PC and discovered that the latter causes my images to lose sharpness. The former method preserves all of the clarity and detail. Anyone else find this to be the case? I wonder if the administrators can weigh in on this matter as well?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:47 PM   #4

jelpee,Yes.
It seems that you have to make the file so small to up load from your hard drive that it makes it loose all the detail.
I have been using the 3rd party system for posting, from nearly the beginning when I joined this forum.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:07 PM   #5
Administrator

nhmom:

To post a photo here, I'd suggest downsizing it using something like the free Irfanview. After opening an image with it (File>Open), look under Image>Resize/Resample. I'd make the longest side around 640 to 800 pixels (and no more than 1024, if you *really* need to show one that large for special purposes), leaving the retain aspect ratio box checked. I normally select the Lanczos algorithm for resizing.

Then, when you save the image after resizing (File>Save As), select jpeg as the file type and set the JPEG Quality slider you'll see pop up to around 80%. That will probably get the file size within limits as long as the image is downsized to smaller dimensions first. Make sure to leave the retain EXIF box checked if you want members to see the metadata for camera settings used.

Then, use the attachment button you'll see when making a post here, which lets you upload an image and attach it to a forum post (use the button in the editor tool bar that looks like or , depending on the forum theme you using).

If you're trying to show an image from a web site elsewhere (versus uploading one from your hard drive, you can do that using the "Insert Image" button in your toolbar that looks like or (depending on the forum theme selected), then paste the link to your photo into the box you'll see pop up.

jelpee:

The forums software isn't modifying the image you upload. You may want to try different resizing methods (or try sharpening the downsized image) if you're unhappy with the results you're seeing.

Here's one resizing program you may want to try.

http://www.fsoft.it/imaging/en/DownloadPrg.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:13 PM   #6

just about every thing i post is from photobucket..
mouse over the image and you'll get a drop down.. for posting here you want to use the last choice starting with [img].. this works on most sites
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:57 PM   #7

Yes, I was trying to test my uploading images (which is what I've always done) and linking to one of my web sites. I have sites on pbase and picasa. Couldn't get either one to appear unless I just included the link in my message. Whether I use the manage attachments or insert image, I either get invalid file or an X appears in my post. So, I'm thinking picasa and pbase don't work for this.

I have had IrfanView for years. I just usually was resizing in PSE7 or using the Windows Resizer in WE. Like jelpee, I hadn't been satisfied with what I was seeing here. They are always clearer on my computer than when I upload the same exact image. I will try resizing in IV and see if it makes a difference, though.

Will experiment with some photos I just took this morning. We just got back from Lawrence and the mills again.

Patty

Last edited by nhmom; Sep 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:14 PM   #8

I don't know about picasa, but pbase should work OK to link to, at least it did a couple of years ago when I was looking at photo-hosting sites. I use Safari as my web browser and the previous version of the board's software did weird things when I tried the button to link to another picture. So I don't bother with the button, I just put a [img] before the web address of the picture and a [/img] after it. That always works, as long as the website allows you to link to it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:33 PM   #9
Administrator

That's all the insert image button is doing (putting img tags around the link you post in the box).

Yes, images from pbase.com should work fine (a paid account there allows hot linking).

http://www.pbase.com/help/direct_linking&id=465

Just copy the contents of your browser's address bar when viewing an image, and add one of these to the end of the address (after the image number). The original size links to the image you uploaded. If you select one of the other options, pbase.com is downsizing the original for you.

/original.jpg
/small.jpg
/medium.jpg
/large.jpg

We prefer it if image sizes are kept to around 640 to 800 pixels wide for posting, and no more than 1024 pixels wide for any reason. Please post a link if you want something larger, rather than embedding a larger image in a forum post here, even if it is hosted on another site. Keep in mind with members with lower resolution monitors (especially laptop/netbook users) may need to scroll around to see an entire image. Because a wider image makes the entire forum page wider, that also means they'd need to scroll left and right to read replies on the same page with a wider image.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 4:07 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
nhmom:
jelpee:

The forums software isn't modifying the image you upload. You may want to try different resizing methods (or try sharpening the downsized image) if you're unhappy with the results you're seeing.

Here's one resizing program you may want to try.

http://www.fsoft.it/imaging/en/DownloadPrg.htm
Jim, I typically use my PSE5 for resizing to the 800 x 600 dimension and for the example here I used Fastone. The resized images using either method are sharp when I view them on my monitor, but when uploaded, they look softer. I'll have to try Irfanview to see if it makes a difference, although I find it difficult to imagine that the resizing algorithms in both PSE5 and Fastone are prone to this condition.

The first example below was linked from photobucket; the second was uploaded as an attachment from my PC. On my monitor, the first image is noticeably sharper and detailed.

From Photobucket

. . . and as an attachment from my PC
Attached Images

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote