Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Ronny, you are one stealthy fellow. I still feel that you are using hypnotism to get them to pose for you.

All kidding aside these are all wonderful shots!

Lou
Thanks Lou

No hypnotism but i'm happy nobody is taking pictures of me when I'm sneaking, crawling up to them.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I don't know if people realize how small that Copper is. When you get close enough to get a decent sized image, the DOF is bound to be shallow. I really like the front view of it. In regards to the comments about the Painted Lady, that is not a particularly large butterfly either, although it is larger than the Copper. I have struggled myself with Painted Ladys which never seem to sit still long enough for careful focus. The Painted Lady always does not completely close the wings above the back, but often holds them spread and only partly raised (as in this shot and those I posted recently) so it is difficult to get head and wingtip both sharp from the side - as with human and animal portraits, the eyes have it - as long as those are sharp the picture should be OK.

These are very good shots, especially considering the subjects.
Thanks Penolta,

Your remark about the size of the common copper makes me think that next time that I post something I might better add a reference picture to show how big or small the subject is.

Just as a late addon, a ladybug on the same plant to show the size of the small copper

Last edited by rhermans; Sep 23, 2009 at 2:53 AM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Ronny - Can only agree with all the rest - these are great shots of a tough subject. Keep up the great work!
Thanks Mole
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithw View Post
Wow, the little b*ggers always seem to fly away when I try to get close. Plus I find macro a real pain so well done on 2 fronts!
Thanks Keith, and ....

keep trying those butterflies are a stubborn bunch and they can really test your patience but I'm sure you can do it.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:01 PM   #25

It's funny how sometimes I think I posted a comment to someones post, only to find out later it didn't get posted. Anyway, I wanted to express my admiration for these shots also. Nice going Ronny.
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:19 PM   #26

I really like these - they are better than what I ever manage. They give me hope that maybe, one day, I'll manage a good butterfly picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
It's funny how sometimes I think I posted a comment to someones post, only to find out later it didn't get posted. Anyway, I wanted to express my admiration for these shots also. Nice going Ronny.
Thanks GW
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I really like these - they are better than what I ever manage. They give me hope that maybe, one day, I'll manage a good butterfly picture.
Thanks Harriet,

For me a good "butterfly" picture is the best I make today, a better is the one I want to make tomorrow.

And I have a feeling that is the same for all of us on this forum. We want to do our best and ... next time do even better.