Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:03 PM   #1

Default The D645 cometh

Not sure if any has the bucks, but it is on its way

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=868986

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Pe...ase-date-12209

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:05 PM   #2

hmmm,
guess we will see if it's so.
at over $5000 i doubt i'll ever see one unless i steal it..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 1:06 PM   #3

I might see one on the net, or behind glass, but it would take a lottery win to own one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 2:09 PM   #4

It will take more than a lottery or mega-millions win to own one for me. I had a chance to play with a friend's full frame C-n camera and quickly came to the conclusion that the camera was way too heavy for me to use for very long. So if I can't deal with the weight of a full frame camera, a medium format camera would be totally impractical. I'll stick with the smaller sensor dSLR cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:43 AM   #5

I don't think the problem is you, Harriet. A lot of photographers who use medium-format equipment shoot almost exclusively with a tripod.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:16 AM   #6

To those of us who were Pentax 35mm shooters this is an important announcement since it bodes well for the company's future.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7

My 645n MF Pentax film camera is actually quite light and easy to use without a tripod, unlike my 67 which is very heavy and very large. Since the 645 already has a built in motor drive to move the film, I see no reason why the digital version would be any heavier since it doesn't need the motor drive.

I think the price is ridiculous along with the file sizes which would be amazingly large and hard to deal with. Nothing about this camera appeals to me and it bothers me that Pentax is wasting their resources on a camera they will sell very few of, when they can't keep up in the DSLR market.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:04 AM   #8

When I used a Pentax 6 X 7, I used a very robust (Leitz Tiltall)tripod. I also used this tripod with my Mamiya 220 TLR medium format.

With medium format because of the weight and size, I found hand held although Possible and I did it, ...awkward.

The smaller 645's like the Pentax, Mamiya, etc,..were supposed to be easier, because of less weight and size, so I suppose they could be used almost exclusively hand held. Although I don't know for sure (645) as I've never used one.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
hmmm,
guess we will see if it's so.
at over $5000 i doubt i'll ever see one unless i steal it..
The 5,000 to 6,000 is in pounds, so more like $10k to $12k in (what is left of) dollars. However, the Mamiya 28mp camera is $15k, and the 33mp camera is $20k. Hasselblad and Leaf are more expensive still.

I view this as a gamble for Pentax but not one that is ridiculous. If they can bring a competitive medium format camera to market and beat their competitors price by a significant margin this could well be successful. Remember medium format has been a traditional Pentax territory in the past and, even though they are a small player in the Dslr market, they could be one of the larger medium format players by company size. Medium format digital may be a small market segment right now, but with prices noticeably trending downward they could be (re)establishing their presence in a market poised for much more growth.

I am certainly no expert in the photography market but I do see potential in this decision and I hope it works out for Pentax.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:46 PM   #10

I still have my 6x7 Pentax but hope Pentax come out with a FF version of the K-7 since I have a ton of FF lenses.
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote