Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:02 PM   #1

Default Cabbage Whites - K7 @ ISO 800

I saw this nectaring Cabbage White out the window at lunch (missed this one on the first series) and grabbed the camera for a few quick snaps. It was very wary and hard to approach. Noise was apparent - but not objectionable - in the originals which required some sharpening (hand held and breezy), upon which it became quite obvious and a bit difficult to work around. K7 w/ Tamron 70-300mm.

Name:  IMGP0051r2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  58.0 KB

2 An out of focus leaf was in front of the flower and the butterfly's head, blurring them - took a bit of doing, but I was able to eliminate it from the head but not completely from the flower.

Name:  IMGP0053r.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  64.9 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:30 PM   #2

Nice job Pen!
Attached Images

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:09 PM   #3

Good shots and amazing at 800 ISO.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4

Terrific shots!

You have shown a nice variety of butterflies at your home. Your garden must be well planted to attract such a diversity of specimens.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:11 PM   #5

Very nice pictures - you pp job on the second one is really excellent. I never get such nice results.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:29 AM   #6

Penolta - great work - wonderful detail and color!

I too find that most of the whites are tough to approach - for example, have yet to get a decent shot of a falcate orange tip...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:18 PM   #7

Thanks GW, Rodney, Lou, Harriete and Mole for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Terrific shots!
You have shown a nice variety of butterflies at your home. Your garden must be well planted to attract such a diversity of specimens.

Lou
Lou, we have 8 resident species this year - Giant and Tiger Swallowtails, Monarchs and Mourning Cloaks, Gulf Fritillaries, Cabbage Whites, Gray Hairstreaks, and Fiery Skippers, plus visiting Painted Lady, Queen, and a yellow butterfly I never got a good look at - probably a Sulphur. Last year we had the same residents, plus Painted, American, and West Coast Ladys and Anise Swallowtail as visitors. As you say, it is all in the plants. My wife went to a native plant sale this morning and brought back several new host plants to try for next year.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:49 PM   #8

Very nice Penolta, if you had not mentioned having to PP out the leaf I would not have known. I would be interested in seeing the original and hearing what tools you worked with. I have some shots from a zoo trip this past weekend where I was shooting past fencing that I might try your methods on.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonEntity1 View Post
Very nice Penolta, if you had not mentioned having to PP out the leaf I would not have known. I would be interested in seeing the original and hearing what tools you worked with. I have some shots from a zoo trip this past weekend where I was shooting past fencing that I might try your methods on.

Tim
Thanks, Tim. The original wasn't much to look at, but had enough promise to make it worth the effort. There is a long, narrow OOF leaf extending from the lower left across the flower and the butterfly's head (and beyond), not totally obscuring anything, but causing a green tinted blur. My short-term memory isn't what it used to be, but I fiddled around with the shadows/highlights tool, brightness and contrast, and sharpening at one point or another. I didn't do too much to the overall frame, but the key was to use the quick select tool to outline the butterfly and (separately) the flower for processing, and lastly to isolate the head and apply more still more sharpening. I could see there was noise in the green areas and applied despeckling to reduce it and then cropped a little off the edges. You can download the picture, try it yourself, and see what you come up with. The same technique might work on your in-flight skipper which looks like it might have an OOF leaf in front of its tails, and maybe on fences or the bars of some cages in your zoo shots.

Name:  IMGP0053.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  41.4 KB

Last edited by penolta; Sep 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 7:49 PM   #10

Thanks Penolta! Looking at the original, I can see hints of what used to be, but without it, the former offending leaf is nearly invisible. I will have to set aside some time to experiment. I confess, my opinion on post processing views it as a necessary evil with the less time spent the better. I realize getting better at PP is probably the next step I need to take in becoming a better photographer. It is just hard to convince myself that time spent doing work behind the computer is not necessarily time spent at work, doing work behind the computer.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote