Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:53 PM   #1

Default Spiders and Moth

Just before dark, I went out and played a little with my new ring flash adapter (see Ring thread in Pentax Lenses forum). A caught a moth playing around the Butterfly plant.

I attached the ring adapter to a Pentax 540 flash and shot with my K20d with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens. I was thrilled when I looked over and saw a milk spider spinning its characteristic zig-zag web

He didn't care for my presence and retreated to the main part of his web where a small insect was already in storage for supper.

This morning, I was outside for a while and photographed an orb-spinner in his characteristically large web. Lighting was tougher on this one since I was forced to shoot to the East with the early morning sun behind the spider. I tried using the ring flash for fill flash, but it washed out the web detail, and I liked the effect of the dew on the web.

I'm going to post a photo of the set-up on the K20 in the aforementioned ring thread in the Pentax Lenses forum

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:46 PM   #2

Hi Paul,

OK, I'm intrigued. Is this the one with the 160mm distance from the flash head to center of the lens? I'm thinking of making an offer. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3

Scott, I'm really not sure. I don't remember that spec. You can look at what it looks like in the Ring thread on the Pentax Lenses forum. I posted a couple of shots of it a couple of hours ago.

Paul
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:14 PM   #4

Good shots and lighting, the Zig Zag Spider is very good.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Paul,

OK, I'm intrigued. Is this the one with the 160mm distance from the flash head to center of the lens? I'm thinking of making an offer. . .

Scott
Scott, how is this measured - from the center of the flash head to the center of the lens? If so, for the Sigma EF-500 it would be the 170mm model.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Scott, how is this measured - from the center of the flash head to the center of the lens? If so, for the Sigma EF-500 it would be the 170mm model.
Yes, it's from center of the head to center of the lens. I was just being lazy. I just measured, and the DS, K100DS, K10, K20, and K-7 it's 170 with the 540, and 155 with the 360. Just for information sake, the AF 500 FTZ is also 170 and the AF 280T is also 155, so the Pentaxes should all be easy to fit.

I also looked at the Sigma specs, and it appears that the newer 530's have the same dimensions as the 500's, so I would assume that they would also take the 170mm model.

I have to wonder how much light is lost? -- It would be nice to be able to use the smaller/lighter gun. It looks as if there's enough room to account for a 15mm difference in height. . . The lens on the example Nikon is considerably thicker than my D FA 100 Macro.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:46 PM   #7

The one I got that I'm using with the K20 and the K-7 and the 540 flash is the 165mm. It was the one the seller identified as being the right measurement for the 540. Just looking at it, though, I think 170 is probably the best measurement.

Paul
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post

I have to wonder how much light is lost? -- It would be nice to be able to use the smaller/lighter gun. It looks as if there's enough room to account for a 15mm difference in height. . . The lens on the example Nikon is considerably thicker than my D FA 100 Macro.

Scott
According to one review I read, the loss with the O-Flash is 2 stops, against one for another (the original) brand that sells for $200-$300. There was also some uneveness (light falloff on one side) as opposed to even illumination in the more expensive one. The reviewer thought the O-Flash was worth it for the lower cost. There are apparently now several brands available.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 4:23 PM   #9

Great shots. Looks like a reasonable solution for a ring flash. Your results are excellent with the pictures of the milk spider.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:26 PM   #10

I'm impressed with the first one - stopping the moth in midflight, just about to land - its tongue just beginning to unroll for feeding. Good catch!