Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpo View Post
Thanks for the comments guys.

The panning shot was at 1/100 with quite a small F probably around 1/22. Stangely I tried about 5 panning shot that day, the only keepers was with the SR off??. Maybe just coincedence or is there some logic to switch the SR off when panning?

I kept the Sigma70-300 and still use it mostly as a portriat lens. Agree its quite good at 70-200.

A 300mm prime's FoV is also quite limiting as a all-purpose wildlife lens especially for big game (except if you want to do a study of the ticks on an elephant's behind ). I'll definetely look at the 55-300 or the Bigma in future.

By the way any opinion on which is best at 300mm (Bigma or Pentax 55-300mm, or even the Sigma 150-500).

Cheers,

AL
I like the Bigma but do not have the 55-300 to compare it to.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:53 PM   #12

The SAA 2-seater, does it take a passanger? It's even smaller than the one we usually fly with between Jo-burg and Mthatha!
Nice shots, thanks for keeping SA on our mental maps!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:23 PM   #13

Al, I'm guessing that the reason you had better results with SR turned off during panning is because the camera's shake reduction system could not distinguish the panning motion from the shaking that's a normal part of an hand-held photography. In essence, the camera was trying to counteract your panning action. I haven't studied the owner's manual in detail, but I suspect you'll find that panning shots will always come out better with SR turned off. Of course, for hand-held still shots, you would definitely want to turn SR on.

I don't know this for certain, and I hope someone will correct me if they know otherwise. I'm sure there are many on this forum who know more about this issue than I do.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:23 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm guessing that the reason you had better results with SR turned off during panning is because the camera's shake reduction system could not distinguish the panning motion from the shaking that's a normal part of an hand-held photography.
The Exif shows "0" for focal length - SR will not work properly with a manual lens unless the focal length is input through the camera's menu (I haven't paid attention to this, so I'm assuming it would show if entered).

On all digital Pentaxes through the K20 the SR is controlled via a switch on the back of the camera body. It may be significant that in the K7 this now can only be done through the menu. Since panning shots are normally intermixed with stills during walkabouts, it would be impractical to switch back and forth, and SR probably is intended to be left either on or off for all shots, or they would not have dispensed with the switch. SR is activated by irregular or jerky movements, and might not be activated during smooth panning (as long as your feet are on solid ground and not in a moving car on a rough road). Also, SR can be turned on or off for movie shooting and is not automatically disabled, and presumably can be used when the camera is not tripod mounted (when it should be turned off). I have always left it on during BIFs, although some others regularly turn it off. Unless I missed something, this issue is not addressed in the K7 manual's SR sections, and may thus be a nonissue.

Last edited by penolta; Oct 6, 2009 at 9:30 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote