Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Salisbury Reservation, Salisbury, MA

Earlier this month nhmom took some pictures of seals at the Salisbury, MA Reservation with her Tamron 70-300mm lens. It was a stretch for that lens and I decided to see if I could bring them closer for you with the K-7 and my 80-400 and the 1.4TC.

I must say it was a stretch for me as well. The time of day is of little concern but the low tide is when you catch the seals sun bathing. Low tide was at 2:30pm so highlights were hard to control. The sun was facing me and there was nothing I could do but try my best. I guess the ideal condition is an overcast day with a low tide.

I brought my newly acquired Pentax PF80-RD birding scope with me as well. I am not set up to digiscope, but my wife was having a ball with it watching the antics of the seals up close as they tried to find some free real-estate on the rocks to climb onto. My wife counted 24 seals on the rock islands and 3 more swimming around trying to find a place to rest.

The pictures are all cropped. They were taken with a tripod but it was very windy with strong gusts. I had to hang my camera bag on the tripod and hold the lens steady with my left hand as a lot of the shots blurred.

F5.6, 1/640", ISO 400

F5.6, 1/320" (-0.3EV) , ISO 200

A Coast Guard Cutter was returning to the Merrimack River from the sea. The lighthouse in the background is on Plum Island.

250mm +1.4TC, F5.6, 1/500", ISO 400

A shot of the sand at low tide tweaked in PS.

80mm +1.4TC, F5.6, 1/250", ISO 200

And last a piece of driftwood at the top of the beach.

80mm F4.5, 1/3200" ISO400

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:36 AM   #2

Nice series, those seals look wonderful, good shots of them especially with the high lighting problems and the sand shot is magical.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:36 AM   #3

Some wonderful shots of the seals, and all the photos are full of the feeling of the sea. Thanks for sharing!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:57 AM   #4

Great shots-guess that why the Great White Sharks were spotted in Cape Cod waters.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:25 PM   #5

Rodney- Thanks, the seals were quite amusing to watch as they occupied every piece of rock that protruded from the river. Some of the rocks looked like floating seal logs. I will try and take more close ups when they come ashore in winter.

Mole- Glad you enjoyed the seascapes. The beaches in Autumn are lovely as they are for the most part void of people other than an occasional stroller with a dog.

DMJJR- My future Daughter-in-law who lives in Amesbury, MA (the adjacent town to Salisbury) told me that the great whites are in Salisbury as well dinning on the seals. She must have read about it in the local newspaper. I think that Cape Cod being a large tourist area gets more publicity.

Lou
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:28 PM   #6

Nice. 1, 4, and 5 are especially well done.

I know the sharks have to eat, but I wish they would find something other than seals to prey on. It is the same out here - there are so few places left for the seals to haul out that they concentrate where the Great Whites (as well as the Orcas in the Pacific) can also concentrate and easily find them, thus taking a heavier too than would be the case if the seals were more dispersed.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:25 PM   #7

Penolta, thanks! The seals do tend to congregate in one place however; they do not seem to be subject to repeated shark attack in New England.

I checked the internet for articles of shark attacks in the Salisbury, Plum Island area and I think my future daughter-in-law was misinformed.

There was a reported sighting by a local fisherman but no seal carcasses have been reported as evidence of an actual attack.

Marine biologists with the New England Aquarium said that Great whites seldom venture farther north than Cape Cod but that it would not be fair to discount the reported sighting.

Fisherman have said that a large school of bluefish in the area simply disappeared and that could be the result of a Great White.

Another hypothesis was that what the fisherman might have seen was a Basking Shark or a Sunfish.

Lou
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:12 PM   #8

Great series, Lou. The seals are really nice, but I also like the sand pattern shot.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:17 PM   #9

Something about your capture of the Coast Guard cruising along in what appears to be a serene looking spot makes this one my favorite.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Great series, Lou. The seals are really nice, but I also like the sand pattern shot.

Paul
Paul, I also liked the sand shot. The patterns presented by the sand and the reseeding tide can often present a photo opportunity.

I played with it in PS and found I could get artistic with it as well. Here is another rendition of same.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Lou